Chapter Nine

Ren couldn't take his eyes off Ryuji back in their dorm. The blond sat at the desk watching anime on his laptop, quietly singing along with the opening. Ren sat by the bed as he stared, petting Morgana who sat in his lap.

    'He can't be insane like Akechi and Togo. He hasn't done anything bad...'

    "Mrrooow,"

    Morgana stretched before sliding out of Ren's lap. The boy sighed and slowly stood up, going over to their little kitchen corner.

    "Hey, Ryuji?"

    "Yup?" he kept his eyes on the laptop.

    "I'm making lunch, are you hungry?"

    "Yeah! Awesome!"

    Ren pulled open the cabinets, deciding to make some sandwiches. He took a few things out the cabinet and a few more out the fridge. He glanced at Ryuji again and nervously cleared his throat.

    "So... did you find Ann?"

    "Yeah, we talked for a bit,"

    "Are you two... dating?"

    "I mean, it's not official but after the game I'm sure we'll be together for a long time!"

    Ren accidentally knocked a cup over and hurriedly bent down to pick it up.

    "But really... how do you know she feels the same way?" he asked.

    "Wh... of course she does. Have you seen the way she smiles at me?"

    "Ryuji, you don't know that!" Ren winced when he yelled. "I just... I don't want you to get your heart broken."

    "Ren, I think you're exaggerating," Ryuji was standing now.

    "But what if... what if there's someone else who likes you? Someone who really wants to be with you but you're hung up on a girl that might now even feel the same way!"

    "Ren, shut up..."

    Ren couldn't take it anymore. It was now or never.

    "Ryuji, please, I need you to hear me out! I like—!"

    The next moment happened so fast, Ren barely had time to react. There was pain, then air rushed by, then he hit the ground along with his glasses.

    "Stop talking like that, damn you! I really like Ann and you're acting like you don't want me to be with her! Is that it, do you just not give a shit about how I feel?!" Ryuji was yelling.

    Ren put a hand over his burning cheek, tears welling in his eyes. He couldn't do anything but look up at Ryuji in shock. His friend had the same look, as if even he didn't believe what just happened.

    "Th-That was... I didn't mean to..."

    Ren's breathing picked up speed. The red from the hand mark on his cheek spread all over his face. Ryuji fell on his knees in front of Ren, reaching out to him. The other boy moved back a little.

    "RenRen, I'm sorry... I-I'm sorry..."

    "D-Don't...!" he could barely speak.

    I don't know what I was thinking—I'm sorry!" Ryuji grabbed Ren's glasses and put them back on his face. "Look at me, I'm so sorry... I mean it..."

    Ren shook his head, tears falling by now. Ryuji got close enough to grab the ravens shoulders and keep him still. Ren's heartbeat quickened and he began to slowly panic.