Chapter 2: Home Alone

''Are you sure you'll be okay?''

''Yes uncle. Gosh. Get going you're going to be late.'' I pushed the man off my bed repeatedly, trying to make the mountain of a man move.

''Wow. Worrying about my favourite nephew and this is what I get?'' He feigned hurt and shook his head making me grin and wave him off.

''I'm your only nephew.'' Laughing at my comment he kissed me quickly on the forehead and left before I could push him away again.

''You know it!'' He shouted from the staircase and I broke out laughing.

He acts more like a pup than an Alpha but no one really looked down on him for it. They held him higher for it. An Alpha who didn't interact with their pack freely was barely an Alpha. A pack ruled by fear would surely fall apart and have trouble coming together. That's why uncle was nothing less or more than himself and for that, we were all proud. Sure, we had a few fights here and there but nothing large scale.

I shuffled over to my window and sat down in a rustic-brown, curved, wicker chair pulling my feet up to rest on the white pillow beneath me, my bed long forgotten as I wrapped my blanket around myself and got comfortable for the night watching the brownscale flurry of wolves run towards the joining borders where a lake was all that separated the territories.

I always enjoyed watching the pack run. They were beautifully melding into their surroundings, a vast array of browns ranging from crème of the lower ranking wolves to the darkest brown of the dominants. The only pack member that stood out incredibly was that of my uncle, a black wolf with dark brown paws to signify he was an Alpha of a brownscale pack.

My uncle's wolf turned to my window and howled a goodbye which was soon followed by the pack joining in with howls of their own or a series of barks and yips before rushing off again. Within a matter of seconds all of my pack was gone with the breeze and the faint echoes of howling from other packs was carried to my window.

''Goodluck.'' I whispered and let my mind drift in thought.

''Uncle, what are we doing?''

''You have to hide.'' He hurried me into a mud pile and nudged me in it with his nose until I fell into the deep hole.

Floundering in the mud, my body tried to regain balance but my wolf was too weak against the thick sludge that covered my shoulders and matted in my pale fur.

I whimpered and tried to reach for him but he shoved me in further until my head was under the thick sea of dirt, my wolf thrashed and whined with terror before I was pulled out by teeth on my scruff.

My body jutted one way and the other, swinging back and forth at the pace of the larger wolf carrying me in and out of trees, over fallen trees and under logs held up by the arms of its wooden family.

''Uncle.'' My wolf whined and whimpered as my heart beat frantically as I searched for what we were running from.

''Be quiet, please.'' He pleaded through our mind link and continued his path before dropping my small body into a crevice created by the roots of a large oak tree.

''Stay here, Squirt. You need to stay here.'' His big nose nudged my quivering body further into the hole, briefly giving me a reassuring rub on my neck which did little to settle me.

''What's happening?''

''Shh. Just don't be seen.''

''But uncle-''

''Please, be quiet. I won't let them take you away.''

With leaves falling over my head to cover the opening of where he had placed me, his wolf took off in the opposite direction of where we had come from and I waited.