Chapter 9- A replica

"Dhruv, I am asking you again," Dhvani said crouching so she could be eye level with her son. "Did you do something that you were not supposed to?"

Dhruv shook his head, "I didn't do anything."

"Promise?" She held out her pinky.

"Promise!" He said immediately and locked his pinky with his mother's.

"Okay!" Dhvani smiled and fixed his tie. "Let's go!" She stood up, and they headed to his classroom.

"Good morning, Miss. Mishra." Miss Dave greeted as the mother-son duo walked into his classroom.

"Good morning." Dhvani was a little apprehensive with the smile on Dhruv's teacher's face. Usually, his teachers were always angry or upset when they saw her.

"Good morning, Miss!" Dhruv wished diligently.

"Good morning, Dhruv. Can you please go to the school library and return the books we borrowed for storytime yesterday?"

Dhruv nodded and went about his task while Dhvani was guided to one of the desks in the classroom.

"My name is Leena Dave, and I just recently joined the school." She said to Dhvani.

"Hello! I am not really used to hearing or seeing Dhruv's teachers so happy." Dhvani confessed.

Leena laughed and sat on a chair in front of Dhvani. "That's because they don't understand that each child is different. Some kids are more active than others. As long as Dhruv doesn't physically or mentally harm anyone, you won't hear from me."

Dhavni relaxed into the chair. Finally, a teacher who understood children!

"So, the reason I called you in this morning was because... Dhruv has been talking quite a bit about his father."

Dhvani didn't know how to respond. Dhruv hadn't talked to her about his father at all after that time he asked about him.

"Now, don't get me wrong. I am a child psychology minor, so I think you can trust me on this... it is normal for children to talk to about their families to their friends and sometimes exaggerate, but what Dhruv has been doing it might be a little concerning."

Dhvani looked at the teacher in confusion. "What?"

"Every day it is a new extravagant story about what his father has done... For example, yesterday he was telling his friends about his father punching an elephant. It is almost like he is overcompensating. I am guessing Dhruv hasn't met his father, or his father doesn't spend a lot of time with him, correct?"

Dhvani shook her head as she tried to fight back her tears. "He has never met his father."

"So what I think is that Dhruv has made a superhero image of his father. I don't want to get into your family business, but as Dhruv's teacher, I am a little concerned about his mental wellbeing."

Dhvani stared at Leena in panic. Mental wellbeing?

"Relax, Ms. Mishra! All I wanted to suggest was that you talk to Dhruv and explain to him about his father... but please break it to him slowly. He is a smart child, but you don't want him to have emotional trauma when you tell him that his father abused you-"

"My husband never abused me." Dhvani defended instantly. "We.... just weren't compatible."

"Oh! Then why does Dhruv not know about his father?... I am sorry I don't mean to pry, but I just assumed that if it were an ego issue, you would take turns being a co-parent... Anyways," Leena reached over at her desk and pulled out a card for Dhvani. "This Radhika Rajput's card. She is a very good child psychologist. In case you wanted to seek professional guidance."