16: Will

I still sat in my room, a few hours after Jem had left it. I had prayed that Tessa wouldn't tell him about the kiss. She wouldn't do that to Jem though, I thought. I know my Tess better than that.

I loved her so much. The way her eyes light up when someone talked about books. The way she never wanted to hurt anyone. The way she cared for, the people she loved. Most of all, the way she was with me.

When Tessa's with me I forget about everything else. Jem's diease, Mortmain, the automatons. Everything. She means the world to me.

But now I have wrecked it. She probably hates me, and must think terribly of me now, or more than she did before. I betrayed my best friend, my Parabatai. I realize now that I have truly ruined everything.

"I can't do this." I whisper to myself as I shoot up and walk out of my room.

I head for the doors of the Institute, and walk out them. I'm not sure where I'm going, but I need distraction. I walk out and into the street. There's no one out but me.

Halfway through my walk, I get the feeling that someone's following me. I turn around to see a person dressed in all black with a hood covering their face. I knew who it was, why would he follow me?

I bent down and pretended to tie my shoe. When the person came close I snapped up and slammed them against the nearest building wall.

"You followed me because?" I say as the persons coughs as I release them from the wall.

" I was bored." Jace said as he takes off his hood.

I just roll my eyes, amusingly. Jace is exactly like me I thought to myself.

"Anyways, where are you going?" Jace asked

"I don't know, but I need a distraction." I say.

"From what?". He asks curiously.

"That's none of your business." I say

"Come on just tell me." Jace smirks.

"Only if you take me somewhere that will distract me." I say challenging him almost.

But Jace only smirks. "Okay, follow me."

We walk for about 15 minutes until we get a small little building, and already I sense downworlders. Jace opens the door to the building and we walk in. There are Faeries, werewolves, and warlocks, all sitting at tables with drinks.

"What is this place?" I ask as we sit down on stools, behind a counter stands a werewolf.

"A bar." Jace says simply.

"Pardon?" I say.

"A place where they sell alcohol." Jace says as he orders to drinks for us.

We get our drinks, and then Jace says

"So, tell me your problem."

I sigh and am silent for a moment. "I kissed Tessa, and she's engaged to Jem." I mumble.

Jace looks a little surprised. "Woah, isn't he your Parabatai or something?"

"Yes he is. Now you understand my problem. After I kissed Tessa, she ran out of the room and I have not spoken to her since." I say sadly.

"Have you told Jem?" he asks.

"No, how could I." I say bitterly.

"Well I think you should talk to her." Jace says.

I sigh defeated. "I suppose your right."

"I'm always right." He says with a smirk.

And we both laugh.