Chapter 4

Cassidy's P.O.V.

He finally let go of my neck and I fell to the floor, gasping for air. When I looked up at him I saw that he was hovering over me with a sad look in his eyes. It seemed as though he regretted hurting me and wanted to apologize but wasn't exactly sure what to say.

"I-I'm sorry for touching your wings, Warren, but if you want them to get better then I'll have to. I promise I'll be gentle" I said, reassuring him.

He looked down and shook his head but eventually, sat down in front of me like before. I slid behind him, debating what to do next.

"If you want me to stop, or if it starts to hurt, just tell me," I said

I gently hovered a finger over his wings, not touching them yet. I slowly placed the finger down and he immediately tensed up. The muscles in his back constricted a bit, causing me to worry that he would get angry again. I was barely touching him yet he was having such an intense reaction. I know that he's probably not used to affection, but if he wanted his wings to get better then I would have to touch them. I then placed my whole hand tenderly on his still-decent looking left wing.

"Is that alright?" I asked

He nodded slowly in response and seemed to relax a little. I ran my hand over the top of his wing towards the spike at the end. I lightly tapped the spike at the top. Where it should have been sharp, it seemed dull and worn out. I touched his other wing, being extremely cautious where it was burnt.

"This might hurt a little," I said just as I was about to touch the worst looking part

"I can handle it" He sneered

I gently ran my hand over the spot where some feathers had fallen out and bone was exposed from behind the burns. He winced slightly and closed his eyes, but other than that he seemed fine.

"I'm going to take some alcohol and clean your wounds so they don't get infected. Is that ok?" I asked, making sure not to overstep my boundaries

"Whatever, just do it already" His voice was cold, full of pain.

I reached for the bottle and then realized that I had no washcloth to spread the alcohol on. That meant I would have to pour it directly on the wound which would make it sting a lot worse than normal.

"Ready?" I asked as I positioned the bottle over his wing.

He grunted in response and I slowly poured the alcohol on the wound. This time he flinched and squirmed as if trying to escape the unpleasant sensation. He gritted his teeth and cried out in pain. I stopped pouring the alcohol and quickly waved my hand trying to calm the throbbing with cool air.

The stinging should have stopped by that point, but he was still squirming and looked like he was in a lot of pain. As I looked closer, I noticed another wound on his wings. By the looks of it, he had just pulled the bullet from when he was shot directly out of his wing. Without any more supplies, there was nothing else I could do to ease his pain.

I had done all I could do for his wings and just had to wait until the X-men got here. Then we could take him back to the X-mansion where he could be healed properly.

I quietly scooted over so I was positioned in front of him. He had his eyes closed and he would have looked peaceful if it wasn't for him gritting his teeth in pain.

"Warren" I whispered

His eyes immediately shot open and we just looked at each other for a second.

"That's all I can do for now. Hopefully, my friends will find us soon, and then we can get you proper care." I said, giving him a hopeful smile.

"And what if I don't want to go with you and your friends?" he asked, raising an eyebrow