Chapter 31

Hey there! I know, another update. What can I say... I am finding a little more free time nowadays.

Anyway... this might be the last chapter free of blood and war. from next, we will plunge into the war (battle) and let me tell you, more than writing romance, I love writing about bloodshed and the feeling of the heartbreak of the survivors of the side that is lost. (If you have read Winter's Dance, you know what I am talking about)

Enjoy :)

*********

The second we stepped out of that conference room, most of the people who were waiting for us, stood up. No one said a word as I walked across the room. It was unnerving. That power, I meant. I had no idea what power could do. Now that I felt it coursing in my veins, I wanted nothing more than to revel in it.

I wanted to soak myself in that power until I was lost. It was like an addiction. An addiction that was more dangerous than any drug in the world.

Two familiar faces greeted me as I passed Brent and Jed. While it was a while since I saw one, I could nearly not recognise the one I saw just six days ago.

Although his beard was trimmed and his hair was an artful mess, his eyes lacked life. I had seen this male with so much life when I had accepted him in my pack. So much vivacity when he proudly announced Nash was his son. And so much vigour when they became a family.

Now he was hesitating to enter his own house. His shirt and pants clung to his body due to the wetness. His hair was literally dripping water.

"Alpha," he rasped.

He had come out, no, he had pulled himself out of his solitude because of my arrival.

I would not know what I would do if I was in his place. I know I will never have the strength this male has. If my mate was to abandon me when my child had died, reporting when my alpha arrived would not be my priority.

Aislynn should understand. As much as she lost a son, Varian had lost his son too. She could not leave him now, but then again, what use would it serve if she was here and toxic words were exchanged between them? Would it not tarnish the bond more?

I hugged this grieving male. I wish I could offer him more, but I could not. If all of this was over and we made it out unscathed, I would do much more to him.

"Varian," I whispered.

He sniffed as though that would take his tears back into his eyes. He deserved much more.

I knew it killed Aries to see me hug another male, but he understood that Varian needed that comfort now. And I was thankful for that.

I released him and looked into his tired eyes. "Good?"

He clenched his jaw. "As good as I can be."

Miguel stepped forwards. "I will fill him with what had happened."

Varian looked at me and then at his friend. As his gaze flickered between us, he licked his lips and he played with his fingers by his side. His throat bobbed and his breathing became heavy, though it was subtle.

He is conflicted, Aries said.

I get that, I replied. Is it because he wants to be in the loop, yet he does not want to leave his Alpha?

Ask him, Aries said. I don't know how he is holding together.

"Go, Varian," I said firmly. "I will be here. I don't plan to go anywhere."