eighteen

donghyuck smiled at mark as he was walking towards him. maybe the park where mark had hit him with a basketball wasn't ideal, but it was definitely memorable and cute. but he didn't think of any of that because it wasn't at all intentional. he could only think of how hard his heart was beating, or how dry his mouth seemed to be, but most of all the butterflies in his stomach were the best out of the three feelings.

it was the first time in a long time that he had ever confessed to someone, so it felt new to him in a sense.

"donghyuck?" mark said raising his eyebrows and waved his hand in front of donghyuck's flushed face. "you've been standing here for five minutes already and you haven't said a single word."

'i've been here for five minutes? holy shit.' donghyuck cleared his throat and opened his mouth to speak, but nothing even came out. he was more nervous than he thought he would ever be; it was almost sad.

mark's eyes softened at the sight of donghyuck getting nervous. all of the fear and feelings of pettiness washed away when he took a minute to analyze his face. donghyuck's breathing started to get a little ragged and mark placed his hand in donghyuck's and only said, "breath. 4 seconds breathing in, hold your breath for 7 seconds, and exhale for 8 seconds love."

mark searched for donghyuck's eyes to meet his and they finally did. donghyuck held eye contact with mark at they did the breathing exercise together.

donghyuck nodded when he was fine and continued to speak, "mark i've always had an infatuation with you. ever since freshman year, i could never take my eyes off you. even when i was yukhei i was always watching you from afar."

donghyuck facepalmed and sighed, "i sound like an anime character."

mark chuckled at donghyuck's moment and squeezed his hands in reassurance, "you can keep going if you want..."

donghyuck nervously nodded, "i like you mark. and i think i've always subconsciously had. i love how you laugh at everything and clap your hands like your a seal. or when you get shy and want to change the subject so you drag out a long 'okayyyyy'. you're hardworking and don't give up easily on things you know you want."

mark smiled at all of the words donghyuck nervously jumbled out of himself, "it's my turn now."

donghyuck avoided eye-contact for the longest time until mark cleared his throat as he had done before, "donghyuck?"

"hm?"

mark started his speech, "i like you too. and i feel like once i fall in love with you, it'll be forever. there's so much that i don't know about you, but i know that i'll have fun learning and growing with you."

donghyuck's eyes started to water at mark's sweet words. mark's lips were tugged downwards and he cupped donghyuck's face into his hands, "what's wrong?"

donghyuck shifted his gaze towards the sky above them that was starting to morph into dark colors. he sniffled and looked back at mark; when he tried to speak again his voice cracked.

mark rubbed his back to console him, "take your time baby. there's no need to rush. i have all the time in the world for you."

donghyuck smiled softly at mark and continued after he muttered a small thank you, "it's just i've never had someone saying that it'd be a pleasure to fall in love with me."

mark tilted his head, "no one? then i'm the first?"

donghyuck nodded while wiping away the tears that formed around his eyes, "my first and last."