EXTRA

Honeymoon extra wherein Alex and Jaden travel to another country because Jaden missed travelling. Important note at the end.

2076

The honeymoon destination had been all Jaden's idea. Alex hadn't had much say in where they went and what they did, but he found that he didn't mind so much. Jaden was the one who'd travelled a lot, he'd know the good places to go. Alex hadn't gone travelling in years and even then it had mostly been for business than leisure.

Alex had paid for most of it, but Jaden had been the one to organise everything, which meant it couldn't be a surprise for either of them. But it didn't matter, they would still have a good time. They weren't going to go anywhere busy, that had been a given from the start. Both of them preferred the peaceful quiet of nature.

Jaden had found them a holiday cabin so far north that if they were lucky, they would be able to see the Northern Lights. In all the years of his long life, Alexander had never seen them. As soon as he'd told Jaden that, he'd know where they would be going.

Getting there had taken a long time. Two planes ride and a long drive in a hire car with a GPS that didn't want to cooperate, but by the time the sun had set on the snowy landscape two days since they left, they arrived. Jet lagged and numb from the long and cold car ride, it didn't take them long to get inside, turn on the power and heat, and collapse into bed together.

Alex woke up with the sun and groaned loudly. All he wanted to do was sleep the day away, but the jet lag had to ruin it for him. He was surprised he'd even been able to get to sleep the night before, but travelling usually took a lot out of him. Next to him, the bed was cold and empty. Jaden was already awake and had been for a while.

Alexander stumbled from the comfortable bed and shivered at the cold touch of the floorboards. The smell of hot food drifted from the kitchen and with a grin, Alex made his way to where his partner stood.

The cabin was small but cosy. The walls were made from wood panels and stone, while the floor was covered in thick rugs. A couch filled with small cushions sat in front of a lit fireplace, a television sitting on the wall above it. Opposite all of that was the tiny kitchen, where Jaden stood, panicking at the stove as he attempted to fry eggs.

"I thought you were a good cook?" Alex said with a laugh.

Jaden glared at him over his shoulder. "I'm a decent cook! This is just a different stove than I'm used to," he replied.

"Sure, sure. Excuses," Alex said, grinning at him and moved to wrap his arms around his back. "I'm cold." He shifted closer and pressed a kiss to the back of Jaden's neck. The other man hummed in response and pressed back against him.

"Grab some blankets and warm up in front of the fire. I'll bring the food over when it's ready," he said, but Alex didn't want to move, not yet. Even though the floor was cold and the fire called to him, being with Jaden was comfortable and he didn't want to move.

Sometimes he dreamed that it was all a lie, that Jaden never existed in the first place or had died in the car accident. Those dreams felt so real that it sometimes surprised him when he woke up. He'd waited so long, but if the universe decided to take it all away from him, he wouldn't be surprised, just heartbroken.

The fact that he even had a soulmate and had been able to do his Ceremony sometimes shocked him into silence. It wasn't all that long ago that he'd believed he would never have one. Jaden being with him was something he had only dreamed of and discarded as a pointless fantasy. But in the end, it had come true.

He leaned his head against Jaden's back and sighed. "You alright?" Jaden asked in a soft voice.

Alex hummed. "Nightmares," he whispered.