Chapter 5

Cassidy's P.O.V.

I yawned and tried to sit up but was stopped by a pair of strong arms that were wrapped around me. My eyes widened when I saw that I had my head resting on Warren's chest and the arms wrapped around me were his. I thought I must have accidentally shifted in my sleep. The previous night must have been so uncomfortable for him, seeing as he hated physical contact. I gently lifted his arm off of me and slowly slid out of the seat, carefully as to not wake him up. Everyone else was still asleep, but it looked like the jet had already landed. Everyone was so tired from the mission that none of us had noticed the plane landing.

I stood up and started back heading towards my original seat, two spaces away from Warren. He looked quite peaceful while he was sleeping. ( not in a creepy way ) I smiled to myself, hoping that he was more comfortable now that I had moved. However, his eyes shot open and he started looking around frantically.

Once he finally noticed me sitting two seats away, his brows furrowed and he gained a look of confusion

"Good morning, Warren. How'd you sleep?" I asked, sending a smile his way

"Alright, you?" He grumbled in response

"I'm really sorry that I invaded your personal space. I must have shifted around in my sleep. Hopefully, that wasn't too uncomfortable for you" I said, looking down

He seemed confused for a moment but he shook it off quickly

"It's fine...I guess" he shrugged his shoulders "Just don't do it again"

I nodded my head, still a little confused by the situation myself. I knew that Warren hated physical contact, so it was puzzling how his arms had ended up wrapped around me. I had obviously slept comfortably in his arms, but I felt bad that he hadn't gotten a good night's sleep because of me.

Soon, the lights of the jet started to turn on and everyone groaned and started waking up.

"UGHHHHH! TURN IT OFF!" Jubilee groaned and rubbed her eyes sleepily

"No can do, Jubilee. We're back" I chuckled.

"Oh" She replied as I shook my head at her grumpiness

The moment that I had been dreading was approaching fast. I knew that Uncle X would probably be mad at me for going on the mission and bringing a new student without his permission. I couldn't help it, though. He was never going to give me an opportunity to prove myself. Plus, now we had Warren, who could be super useful. I really wasn't in the mood to get lectured or punished. I was going to have to face him at some point, though, so I figured it would be best to just get it over with.

Our big group walked off the plane. Outside, we were greeted by a frowning Professor X, standing with his arms crossed. Just like back in Germany, Warren stayed close to me and avoided contact with everyone else.

Uncle X's expression turned from anger to shock as he eyed Warren who was standing near me.

"Cassidy, my office. NOW." He said "The rest of you, wait here until I come back"

I didn't want to leave Warren alone because he looked really uncomfortable, but there was no way I could stay there with the group to make sure he was ok.

I reluctantly nodded and walked away from the team with my head down. I was in for it this time. The walk to his office seemed to take forever even though it was only a few minutes. Once we reached his office, he gestured for me to sit down in the chair across from his desk.

"Cassidy, what were you thinking?" He asked while rubbing his temple

"I-I wanted to prove to you that I'm ready, that I'm not some weak and fragile human, that I can be useful," I said while still looking down

"You helped the team succeed in bringing back Nightcrawler, no doubt, but what about the other mutant you brought? Who is he and why does he have so many injuries?"

"His name is Warren, but I don't know much about him other than that. He was against Nightcrawler in the cage fight and almost beat him. Unfortunately, he got wounded because of the electric cage. I know that we can help him. He has great fighting skills and I think with time he'd fit in really well here" I said

"You know I would never refuse a mutant in need...but we don't know what he's capable of. I have no problem training him to be one of the X-men along with Kurt, on one condition: You keep a close eye on him and act as his guide. You will accompany him wherever he goes. I wasn't expecting him and I don't think it's a good idea for him to share a bedroom with Kurt. It seems as though you're the only one he's comfortable with right now, so he's going to have to stay in your room for the time being. Of course, I'd like these arrangements to change over time, but for now, these conditions stand." He explained

I nodded my head eagerly, excited that he was going to let Warren stay. I knew that Warren would be uncomfortable sharing a room with me, seeing that he liked his personal space. However, it seemed like I didn't have a choice in the matter. Besides, maybe we could get to know each other better and even become friends.

"Now, what you did was unacceptable and I really should punish you for disobeying me" He took a deep breath "But I think it's time you started training again. I was wrong to try and keep you from the real world, and I understand that now. You proved you're ready. From now on, you can train with the X-men in combat. Just promise me you'll be careful, alright?"

I couldn't believe my plan had actually worked. I couldn't wait to tell the X-men that I would start training with them.

"Thank you so much, Uncle X," I said as I ran to hug him

"I love you, Cassidy. Don't ever forget that," He said and hugged me back

"I love you too, Uncle X," I said as we finished hugging

"Now, I believe you have a mutant to keep an eye on. I suggest you bring him to the medical wing to get his wounds checked."

I nodded and left Uncle X's office, ready to get Warren settled.

I went back outside, heading for the jet where the whole group was still standing. Warren was standing alone, away from the others as always. I decided to tell him the news that he would be sharing a room with me, and that I would be his guide. He probably wouldn't be too happy, but neither of us had a say in the matter.

Right as I was about to go talk to Warren, Jubilee came over and pulled me towards the group.

"What happened?" She asked, "Was Professor X mad?"

They all had wide eyes and were waiting intently to hear what had happened.

"No- well, I mean, kind of. He gave me a bit of a lecture but from now on he's going to let me train with the X-men," I said excitedly

The whole group cheered and we all shared a group hug. However, I quickly broke away from it, remembering that I still had to take care of Warren.

"Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to show Warren to his room," I said as I waved goodbye to the X-men before any of them could protest

"Hey," I said as I walked beside Warren

He just nodded his head in response.

"I was thinking that I would show you around the school now. Is that ok?" I asked

"Just make it quick, I'd like to have at least one minute of privacy," He said, grimacing

Yep. He was going to hate sharing a room with me.

I motioned for him to follow me and we walked side by side towards the dorms.

"I'll show you to your room first," I said

We were almost at the door of my room when I saw Kurt coming out of the room next door. I smiled and waved at Kurt, but I felt Warren tense beside me. His fists clenched and, before I could stop him, he lunged at Kurt.

I hope that you guys enjoyed Chapter 5 of Archangel! If you like my story please feel free to vote. Have a great day : )

- edited 4/29/20 -