41. Flame

There was over five hundred dollars worth of gift cards in the presents from Dad along with a few items of clothing and shoes I was positive his assistant, Marley, picked out. Thankfully she had good taste.

I felt like the biggest hypocrite alive as I drove my new car, wearing my new outfit to Nolan's . Bee was completely enthralled with everything though, going on about the new car smell and the boots I got and insisting I keep it all.

"Now is not the time to be stubborn, Jade," she said from the passenger seat. "He owes you for pain and suffering. He owes me too for having to watch my best friend suffer."

I gave her a sideways glance. "You just want to keep the boots."

She pulled a leg up on the dashboard, stroking the black suede knee high boots. "They look so good on me."

I shook my head and laughed. They did look really cute on her though.

When we got to Nolan's his house was pitch black.

"Maybe I should've called first."

"Mhm," Bee replied, distracted by her phone. The deep crease in her forehead concerned me.

I nudged her with my elbow, grabbing her attention. "What's up?"

"I think Gia's on a date."

"What?"

She held up her phone, showing me a picture from Gia's Instagram. It was a picture of sushi with the caption: When your bestie buys you sushi. As far as I could tell there was no indication that it was a date.

"Why do you think it's a date?"

"It's a gut feeling," She explained. "Can I borrow your car?"

"For what, Bee?" I already knew why. I could tell by the fire in her eyes. "You can't crash her date. If that's even what is."

"I'm in love with her, Jade. Am I supposed to just let her move on?"

My brow raised at her. "Are you aware of how insane you sound?"

"Yes. But I have to do this. Please?" Her green eyes pled. She wasn't letting it go. "I'll come back to pick you up."

I pointed to the dark house. "I don't even know if Nolan's home."

"Well, check," she insisted, attempting to shove me out of the closed door. "Hurry. I want to try to catch Gia before she gets to SweetFrog. She always wants frozen yogurt after dinner."

The desperation on her face forced me out of the car. I rang the doorbell, I knocked, I sent texts. Nothing. He couldn't be gone, not tonight.

Through the windshield Bee tapped her wrist, a silent hurry the hell up!

Feeling a little desperate myself, I walked around the house to find Nolan's window. It was opened so he had to be home. His room was dark and I couldn't see a thing. I called his name through the screen a few times. The bed creaked, letting me know he was inside. I pulled the screen off and climbed inside, managing not to knock anything over in the process.

When I hit the light switch I expected him to pop awake. Apparently, he was a much heavier sleeper than I thought.

"Nolan." I poked his cheek and he swatted my hand away.

"Go away," he mumbled.

I giggled. "Wake up before pour water on you."

That made him open his eyes. His golden orbs  looked particularity sexy in their tired state. "Jade?"