19 - Coldhearted

Aurora
"I feel like you're trying to kill me, Carter," he mumbles.

I laugh. "No, I'm not. I intend to keep you alive so you can cook me dinner. I'm a terrible cook, remember?"

"Oh, I remember. You called me ten times in five minutes because the smoke detector went off. I'm never letting you in the kitchen again."

I hate to admit that he's right. I'm a terrible cook. He, on the other hand, knows his way around the kitchen. He makes the best lasagna, and I can hardly operate a microwave.

In an attempt to warm himself up, he rubs his hands together. Because we were off for winter break, we decided to head up north for a mini vacation with our friends. In the time that we've been here, we've been ice skating. Adrian sucked at that. Much to his dismay, we were forced to play hockey, and he sucked at that, too. Now, I've decided that we were skiing.

Because, if we're being honest, you can't visit a ski resort without skiing, despite what Laura Jean may think.

Anyway, my bad boy boyfriend can't ski, either. At the moment, he's gripping onto my arm for dear life as we ride the ski lift. We would have climbed the mountain, but Emerson insisted that we try out the ski lift. Ironically, she isn't the one who's boyfriend has a death grip on her arm. In fact, her boyfriend is enjoying the scenery.

"Adrian," I whine. "You're hurting me." He loosens his grip a little. Not enough to make a difference, though. I avert my gaze over to the boy with the gorgeous, blue eyes. A navy blue beanie covers his soft, black hair. Underneath his black, woolen coat is a gray sweater that I’m rather sure was given to him by his grandmother. He wears black jeans and on his feet are a pair of snow boots. He reminds me of puppy. The ski lift halts, and we climb out. I pull the skis out of the lift and hand a set to Adrian. With a frown on his lips, he takes them.

“You ready, Luca?” I ask him.

“As ready as I’ll ever be, I suppose,” he almost scoffs.

“Can you even ski, babe?”

“If falling on your ass counts as skiing, then I’m a great skier.” Despite the obvious sarcasm in his voice, I smile. I bend my legs forward, using the skis to launch myself down the mountain. In the corner of my eye, I see my boyfriend trying his best to operate the skis. I flash him a smile, to which he responds with flipping me the bird.

With a smirk on his lips, I call, "name the time and place, baby, I'll be there." He opens his mouth to reply, but no words fall from his lips.

Point for me, Adrian.

The snow is soft under my skis as I race down the mountain. Wind brushes against my bare cheeks, and feathers of snow sprinkle into my hair. Soon, Adrian catches up to me, which is a miracle on it's own. With all the complaining he was doing, it's hard to believe he was actually skiing. At every joke he attempts to make, I laugh. Not because the joke is funny, but due to the fact that he says it with the goofiest grin on his face. I know he tries to be funny, but he fails miserably.

In all honesty, he'd be much a better model than comedian. Because I have to admit that he has the face of an angel, with the devil's charm. You can call him a angel with wings of a devil.

By the time we reach the bottom of the mountain, the rest of our friends are waiting for us. Okay, not all of them were waiting. Hunter and Emerson were making out against a tree, but nonetheless, Poppy and Saige stood at the bottom waiting for us. After a series of complaints from Adrian, we decided to hold off sledding for tomorrow, and head back to the lodge for some hot chocolate.

So, to avoid hearing a temper tantrum from Adrian, we order some hot chocolate from room service, flop onto the comfy beds, and turn on Netflix. We bicker about what we're watching for an entirety before we finally decide to watch The Fosters, a show that Emerson has an unhealthy obsession. She says that the guys are cute. Poppy and Saige fell asleep on each halfway through the first episode. Hunter tried to fall asleep, but he was elbowed by his girlfriend each time.

Adrian and I offered to cook some popcorn. That popcorn was never made, though. He backed me up against a kitchen counter, and caused me to forget about the popcorn because of his lips on mine. I hungrily explored his mouth, with no intention of retuning to the living room. He hoisted me onto the kitchen counter, and let his hands travel my body. I would have let him go further, too, if Emerson hadn't interrupted us.

"God, why do you have to have sex in the kitchen?!" She exclaimed.

"Better than having sex upstairs at your mom's Halloween party," Adrian muttered. I stifled a laugh at my best friend's reaction. She grabbed a beer from the fridge, and walked out of the kitchen, flashing Adrian her middle finger.

With his lips against my ear, he whispered, "I'm going to take a shower, Carter." Even though he didn't say it, the look he gave me said "you can join me if you'd like." Before he walked away, he ditched his sweater. His muscles flexed through the fabric of his tshirt, and I casually stared at him.

Because of the silence, I hear the sound of the running water. Against my better judgment, I head towards the sound of the running water, with my teeth grazing my bottom lip. I stare at the closed door for a minute, weighing my choices.

Screw it, I think to myself.

Welp. Do you think Adrian complains too much? What do you think should happen next chapter? Do you think Aurora made the right decision? I'm pretty sure that we'll have 25 or 30 chapters, so we're almost at the end. How do you feel about that? Will you miss these characters as much as I will?