Breathless

This chapter was definitely tricky to write, please let me know your thoughts!!

Hope you enjoy!

❥ ❥ ❥

"Why are you wearing makeup?" Dr. Easton's question startled her.

They were in his car, a midnight colored vehicle just as expensive as Dr. Drewitt's had been.

Enid had been staring out the window as they left the campus, watching as the trees outside whipped past.

Reaching up to softly touch the skin under her eye, she frowned.

His attention was on the road ahead, his large hands guiding the steering wheel with ease.

"I... haven't been sleeping well." She answered honestly.

For some reason she could never lie around these men.

"You don't need makeup." His voice deep, almost reprimanding.

And then: "Nightmares?" He glanced at her; his dark blue eyes unreadable.

"Something like that," She murmured, mustering up a convincing smile, "I'm okay, though."

His grip on the steering wheel tightened.

"It's okay not to be okay. You can talk to any of the three of us anytime you need us." His attention turning back to the curving road before them.

Dr. Easton's voice always radiated confidence.

Clearly so constantly right that he rarely spared the time to second guess or doubt.

She admired him.

His self-confidence was well earned.

The rest of the drive was quiet, but not awkwardly so.

Enid watched in wonder as they drove through the countryside, houses getting father and fewer between.

After a few more minutes, they came upon a magnificent gate.

It was gold and ornate and foreboding.

Dr. Easton pressed a button and it smoothly opened, exposing the estate hidden behind it.

A soft gasp slipped from Enid's parted lips and he smiled.

The castle-esc building was the one of the most impressive things she had ever seen.

Stately towers reached high into the grey sky while the grounds seemed to stretch to the ends of the earth.

The sleepy fog hugged the wide home and Enid was reminded of fairytales that her father used to read to her.

The sleek black car pulled to the front of the long driveway and Dr. Easton turned off the ignition.

"Welcome home." His tone possessive as he exited the car.

Enid did not hear him, her attention enraptured by the building before her.

Helping her out of the car, the two walked across the pebble driveway and up the stone steps to the front door.

As the massive wooden doors parted before her, she was astonished to find the interior even more impressive than the outside.

Elaborate chandeliers hung from the tall, sweeping ceilings in the front entranceway.

The floors were a pale marble, their shoes echoing as Dr. Easton led her into the estate.

It was an enchanting mixture of modern and vintage.