Chapter 31

Chapter 31

Lyv woke up the way she fell asleep – curled up against Jai's chest with her face pressed into the crook of his neck, both of them wrapped in fur covers. She was still naked, save for her locket around her neck, warm between them. Jai was already awake. She knew because his fingers were slowly trailing up and down her back, playing with her hair, brushing along her arm before touching the ring on her finger.

After just one day of freedom from Corliss's control, she felt more like herself than she had in months. Even though she still had that dark magic inside her, both her own and Corliss's, she'd never felt more at peace. Having Jai by her side, his strength, and his reassurance they would get through whatever was to come had brought her that. Not to mention the pretty picture he'd painted the night before of the life they would have once it was all over.

Lyv moved slightly, getting impossibly closer as her lips curled upward, her entire body sore yet extremely satisfied. "Good morning," she mumbled against his skin.

"Good afternoon, you mean," he replied, chuckling as he wrapped his arms around her. "You might have slept the majority of the day away."

"Well, we had an excuse. Several, actually."

Jai's fingers slowly traced down her spine, disappearing beneath the furs to softly grip her backside. Lyv lifted her face toward his, her eyes still closed, and waited for him to kiss her. He did, soft and sweet and making what they did the night before come to the forefront of her mind...and wanting him all over again.

"Not that I wouldn't love to spend all afternoon in this bed with you, we really do need to get up soon. We'll be getting to Eld in a few hours," he said against her lips.

"What about another quick round?"

"I can't be quick with you, princess. I like to take my time."

"That you do."

After that first indescribable time he claimed her body and made her fall over that edge twice, one after the other, he'd only let her sleep for an hour. She woke up to his fingers tracing circles across her chest, crossing the planes of her stomach, before dipping between her legs. When she tried to reach for him, still half asleep, he mumbled how he just wanted to watch her. So, he gently laid her back against the furs once again, her eyes closed, and brought her to that edge again with just his fingers and mouth. Of course, she was fully awake after that and wanted to take over, which she did.

Now, Lyv leaned back slightly so she could look at Jai. He loosened his hold just a bit and turned so they were lying side by side, facing each other. He was quiet, searching her face, but the emotion coming down their bond from him...it made a lump form in her throat she had to swallow down. He was at peace and so, so happy, something she knew he hadn't been in some time.

But he was also tired...and not just because of their love making. Worry flickered then as his arm tightened around her bare waist. Worry that this wasn't real, that – if it was – he would lose it in an instant.

"Have you gotten any sleep at all?" she asked, reaching up to brush her fingers over his cheek.

Jai turned his head and kissed her palm before meeting her gaze again. "Hardly. I can't seem to get more than half an hour at most."

"And you're still worried."

"I am. I more than likely will be until all of this is over."

"I hate to say this, but I don't think it'll be over as soon as we hope."