j. one

A void in her heart was suddenly opened for all eternity.

"Hi Sawyer, get ready, we're leaving in-- FUCK! FOUR MINUTES! GET UP!" and with that said, a rather bouncy George Weasley threw a pillow on her head. She blinked slowly, eyes getting accustomed to the darkness surrounding her. She made a slight movement with her wrist that opened the curtains and windows, allowing air into the room.

She yawned just barely as she stood up, her knees trembling under her own weight, almost buckling and giving in.

Sawyer put on a simple dress, and threw a coat on it to make matters easy. She rushed into the bathroom to take care of her business, half annoyed by the fact she didn't get to shower at the morning again as she liked.

There was much bustling from the first floor, and she made her way down with her suitcase waiting for her at Kreacher's legs in the kitchen.

"Thanks Kreach," she barely managed a grin at the house-elf, who miserably nodded. As she requested, he started sleeping in her room a few weeks earlier, and thus she knew he spent most of the night crying and trembling. "I'm sorry for yesterday."

Remus raised a confused look, wondering what had happened yesterday; They had a casual dinner and eventually all went their way for the night-- Sawyer was there the whole night, and so was Kreacher.

What could have happened?

"Grab a sandwich, Saw. You won't have time to sit and eat like you should," Sirius shook his head at his daughter, looking like a worried mother. Sawyer gave him the best loop-sided grin she managed, and kissed his cheek.

"Sure mummy," he scowled, as Remus laughed.

"That makes Remus the daddy, and it is in no way possible-- Why are you laughing?!" he demanded as Fred and George were supporting each other just barely. Remus was also laughing softly at his choice of words.

"Kids, I hope your laughter has nothing to do with the sexual innuendo," Arthur scolded his sons.

"Yeah. Sure," George spluttered out between choked laughter.

"Totally," Fred said just barely before the two couldn't contain the laughter again, picturing Sirius in an apron.

"Y'all haters," Sirius shook his head. Within a moment stood a dog instead of him, and he looked quite insulted. Sawyer ruffled its fur, before grabbing the sandwich.

"Kreach, take care," she told the house-elf seriously, as she crouched down to his level. "You know you can always contact me if you need, and you've got my dad. And dad, I guess," she looked at both Remus and Sirius. "Make sure they're safe, too. Okay?"

"Yes mistress."

"And don't fear him. If you don't fear the reaper, you have no reason to fear him."

"I trust you."

"And that's all I ask of you."

::

"BABY!" Sawyer was scooped up in the arms of a boy, and Sirius growled slightly, but Remus put a hand on his head.

"That's Lee. He's her best friend. Shut up."

"SWEETIE!" she wheezed out, tightening her hold as she realized it was Lee. He picked her up happily (she was considerably lighter than he recalled), and she wrapped her legs around his torso, making Remus clear his throat.

"Oh, sorry Mr. Lupin," he placed her on the ground, but kept his arm wrapped around her waist with a wide grin.

"TRAITOR!" Katie Bell announced dramatically.

"YOU TWO WERE FRIENDS! HOW COULD YOU?!"

"He was their friend!"

"Oh My God, that's not cool, Sawyer. You said it's a break."

The four friends exchanged a look, before Sawyer turned to the girls (two girls from Hufflepuff were sobbing) and cleared her throat. "Excuse me, is this about Oli?"

"YOU BITCH!" a girl she's never talked to screeched. "You don't get to call him Oli! You're a cheater!"

The group departed, patting each other's backs and attempting to calm each other down.

"I am so confused," Remus noted.

"I think we all are," Fred scratched the back of his head.

"So I guess we're all in for a year of gossip about me. Again. I should really just get back with Oli and get this whole drama over with," Sawyer started as she and Lee made their way to the train. The twins shrugged, starting to follow, before Molly stopped them, and they rushed back to say goodbye.

"Sawyer?" Remus wondered, waiting for his goodbye.

"What?" she asked, confused. Her mouth formed an O, "sorry, I'm used to coming here alone," she stated sheepishly as she walked to him, hugging him tightly. Lee's face scrunched in worry within a moment, watching her wobbling steps.

"Take care, sweetheart. Write a lot, dear Head Girl," he chuckled as he breathed her scent in. He used to be able to smell the scent she had as a baby, the one of the mixture of the various baby products that was sweet and filled with innocence. It was the first time he breathed in her scent and it was something unfamiliar. The scent was musky and of a forest after it rained.

His chocolate eyes were sweet and filled with worry as he moved back to watch her, arms still around her shoulders lightly. He looked old as he watched the girl he's taken care of for years, and she smiled as she kissed his cheek.

"Thank you, dad," she said quietly, voice soft and sad. He gave her a trembling smile, "thank you for accepting me through it all. I love you."

"I love you a lot, Sawyer." He hugged her tightly. "You're the apple of my eye, you know it? I'm  proud of you, no matter what. I'm proud to be the man you count as a father and I'll always be here for you. You're my baby girl, Sawyer. No matter what you are."

When she stepped back, there was a few drops of water on Remus' coat, and her eyes were bloodshot. Sirius tilted his head in his dog form, and she laughed, crouching next to her biological father.

"I tolerate you, too, Snuffles."

He licked her cheek, and the long look at her eyes said "take care of yourself".

She stood up, and Lee grabbed her arm as she barely managed to steady herself. He grabbed her suitcase and threw his dufflebag on his shoulder.

"See ya, Mr. Lupin, Snuffles."

"Bye sweetheart, take care!" Molly called out as Sawyer bounced to hug her and thank her for taking care of her. She shook Arthur's hand quickly and kissed Bill's cheek as she wished him luck with the goblins.

As she turned back to Lee, he looked at her, worried, and she grabbed his hand as they walked off to find a comparment.

"So what the hell is going on with you?" he wondered.

She looked at him with what he could not describe as anything but tired.

"I think I might be dying."