Fifth Year and Detention

Chapter 44: Fifth Year and Detention

We also wish to welcome our new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Dolores Umbridge,"

I looked at the lady sitting beside Snape.

She looks dreadful.

She is dressed in all pink, and she looks just like a toad.

"That toad in pink is our new teacher?" I whispered to Draco, making him chuckle.

"And I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing the professor good luck. As usual, our caretaker Mr. Filch has asked me to remind you-"

Dumbledore was interrupted by Umbridge's cough.

We all turned to her as she stood, making her way beside Dumbledore.

"Thank you, headmaster, for those kind words of welcome. And how lovely to see all your bright happy faces smiling up at me,"

What?

We aren't smiling.

"I'm sure we all are going to be very good friends," she said.

"That's likely." The twins said, making me laugh.

"The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. Although, each headmaster brought something new to this historical school. Progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged. Let us preserve what must be preserved. Perfect what must be perfected, and prune practices that ought to be prohibited." She said then Dumbledore clapped, making some of us clap along too.

I heard the loudest clap then I turned to see
Mr. Filch.

Look who has a crush on that toad.

They're going to get along just fine.

———

"Watch this, Y/N." Draco said then casted a spell at the paper bird, making it fly around the classroom.

I smiled, but then frowned when someone casted a spell at it.

"Good morning, children," Umbridge said.

"Ordinary Wizarding Levels Examinations. O, W, L, S. More commonly known as OWLs. Study hard, and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so, and the consequences may be severe,"

"Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven, but please to know from now on you'll be following a carefully structured ministry approved course of defensive magic," she continued while the books are being distributed.

I examined the book.

Does she think we're in kindergarten or something?

Hermione raised her hand, getting Umbridge's attention. "Yes?"

"There's nothing here about using defensive spells." Hermione said.

"Using spells?" Umbridge chuckled. "Well, I couldn't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom." She said with a sick smile.

"We aren't going to use magic?" I questioned.

"You will be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way." Umbridge said.

"What used is that if we're going to be attacked? It won't be risk-free." Harry said.

I faced Umbridge with the 'exactly' face.

"Students will raise their hand if they want to speak in my class," She snapped. "It is the view of the ministry that a theoretical knowledge would be sufficient to get you through your examinations which is after all is what school's about."

"And how is theory suppose to prepare us for what's out there?" I challenge.

"Y/N, for Merlin's sake, stop it now." Draco whispered.

"There is nothing out there, dear. Who'd you imagine wants to attack children like yourself?" She asked.

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe Lord Voldemort." Harry said.

I turned to him. Did he just-

"Let me make this quite plain. You have been told that a certain dark wizard is at large once again. This is a lie." She said.

I stood. "You're wrong! Harry's telling the truth! Why can't you believe him?"

"Detention, Mr. Potter and Ms. Rosecharm." She said then turned her back.

"So according to you, Cedric Diggory dropped dead of his own record?" I asked.

She turned to me. "Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic incident." She said.

"It was murder! Voldemort killed him! You must know that-"

"ENOUGH!" She said then turned to the both of us. "See you later, Mr. Potter and Ms. Rosecharm. My office."