xvii. capitulate

THE GROUP HAD split off into separate groups that would venture off and have different duties  — Daryl ran a search party in the east side of the woods, while Dale held a remaining group on the highway, while Rick held a search party in the nort...

  THE GROUP HAD split off into separate groups that would venture off and have different duties — Daryl ran a search party in the east side of the woods, while Dale held a remaining group on the highway, while Rick held a search party in the north of the woods. Daryl had argued ferociously for Ellie to stay behind or to join his group, but Rick insisted that Ellie join his group, as she was the fastest on her feet. In anger, Ellie pulled Daryl into the RV for a moment of privacy, in hope to convince him to release his sudden urge of protectiveness.

  "Daryl," Ellie whispered, folding her arms across her chest assertively at Daryl's display of protectiveness, "I know you don't want to lose me as well as Coda, but I'm not a child."

  "I hope not," Daryl mumbled sarcastically, to which she slapped his shoulder playfully, though she couldn't help the smile that dazzled on her lips, "I know, but still."

  "I'm going with Rick," she replied sternly, ensuring Daryl was entirely aware that he could not control her, though he only ever wanted the best for her, "You're not my owner, and... we're not together."

  Daryl scowled at her in disappointment at her use of words, and cleared his throat, "I know that," he then slowly, and awkwardly, ran his index finger across her cheek, "Just don't want you to die."

  "I'm not going to die by not being in your presence for five minutes," Ellie replied sarcastically, rolling her eyes at his awkwardness. Her lips curved into a smirk, and filled the gap between the two, causing his breath to hitch in his throat, "Just in the event that I do die..."

  On the very delicacy of the tips of her toes, the blonde seductively leaned up towards Daryl, and felt their lips meeting as they both kissed one another slowly. It had been their first proper kiss in six years, and igniting fireworks deep within the strings of their hearts. This had been the warmth they had been missing. No body could fit as perfectly in his hands as hers did. No fingers could ever trace the map of her skin as well as he could, for no voyage would ever be as significant as his very own across the ocean of her skin.

  This was their first kiss in what felt like an eternity. Though she had kissed him at the CDC, it hadn't been much of a kiss — this was a pure.

  Daryl withdrew from the kiss through a bout of hesitancy, his breath shaky and weak as it rolled from his mouth. The softness of his forehead met hers as leaned his against hers, "You ain't dyin'."

  "I know," she whispered, closing her eyes as the rhythm of his pulse steadied her into stasis, "Neither are you."

  Daryl's cherry lips knitted into a devious smirk as he playfully declared, "I know, woman. I'm more skilled than this group put together."

  "Rick and Shane are, literally, police officers," Ellie replied sarcastically, rolling her sapphire eyes at his confidence, through her dazzling teeth had been on display through a grin, "Either way..." she leaned up to kiss him once last time, savouring his lips every millisecond they were connected, "Stay safe."