15

"Mercy," Amanda said, putting her hands up. "He's lying like he always does!" She stuttered, her lies getting caught on the tip of her ever-moving, ever- lying tongue.

"Am I though?" Neil asked in an obnoxious tone, crossing his arms over his chest. "You ever wonder how I know what you are up to? What bars or grocery stores you're venturing to?" He looked over at me, raising a brow like he expected me to know. 

I shook my head 'no' because I had no idea! I always thought it was a coincidence. Or....Or...he followed me around, peeking around every corner, watching my every move. Like a burglar stalking his mark waiting for the right moment to strike. 

"Your "friend" here helps me keep tabs on you." He said thrusting his thumb back at her quivering form. "Stick your dick in a girl once and she'll give you everything you ask for." He scoffed. As her face turned a darker shade of red exposing her actions before she could utter an explanation. And for the first time in her life, she was speechless. Utterly and completely speechless, with a cat holding the tip of her tongue hostage. And without a doubt the guiltiest person I had ever laid eyes on. 

"You--you've seriously got to be kidding me." I gaped, rage roaring through my body like a bolt of electricity through a superhero. Roaring its alter ego to life, powering up, ready to go on the attack to save the universe. But in my case, I wouldn't be the hero, because I wanted to pounce on her and rip her head off and feed it to the wolves. Fuck murder being frowned upon, I was about to go to prison for life! And I wouldn't regret it. 

C. J. kept a steady hand on my waist, holding me there against him. Essentially holding me back from attacking the shaking, former friend in front of me. 

"Mercy," Amanda said in a low, begging, voice. Folding her hands together like she was about to pray for my forgiveness. But there was no way in Heaven or Hell she'd be getting an ounce of forgiveness from me. Not now--not ever. If she was truly remorseful, she would have stopped fucking him the moment he and I started dating. 

"You ...you introduced us," I said in disbelief, "at that party on campus. You said he was your friend and...and...." 

"Oh--no. More than a friend," Neil grinned throwing his arm around her shoulders, pulling her into his side. "How long have we been sleeping together, Mandy? Two....years no? Since before graduation?" He smirked. The color fell from my face making me into the ghost of who I was ten seconds ago. 

A mind-numbing tingle encased me bringing my thoughts to a grinding halt. My limbs tingled in waves of anxiety. Why hadn't I seen it before? Was I that fucking stupid? I knew he cheated on me and I forgave him then. Which was so fucking stupid of me! Once a cheater, always a cheater! But with her? The girl I shared myself with. I welcomed her into my home, I complained about Neil to her face and she never as much flinched. She---she supported me when I confided in her. She pretended to care like a stand-in friend, placed there like a spy to watch my movements. I didn't know who was more fucked up. 

Him or her? 

But fuck it, they could have each other. They were meant for each other in every possible way. 

"Mercy. I am-----" She dropped her arms to her side in defeat. "You weren't supposed to find out like this." She finally breathed, letting the hard truth drip off her tongue. It's as if someone had finally administered the needle full of truth serum into her blood.

"I wasn't supposed to find out period," I spat looking down at the ground, unable to meet her burning gaze. My numb body leaned into C.J. more for support and he embraced me. Holding me like a true friend should, unlike Amanda. 

I suppose the saying is true, it's not about who you've known the longest. It's about who supports you in your time of need. Amanda had been my friend in college and yet here we were. I must have been blind from the beginning.