Ten

The last day of school barrels down upon you. Everyone is excited for the summer, talking about all their plans for the next three months. You, on the other hand, will be giving birth and caring for a baby this summer. You're both excited and absolutely terrified. At least Billy will be around to help when he's not working at the local pool.

Billy and Steve already graduated the week before, and it was weird being at school without them. You still had Robin, of course, but it wasn't the same. You're not excited for next year.

Billy comes over on the last night of school. He brings movies and snacks for a date night. You make it halfway through one movie before Billy's hand finds its way down your pants. Your parents are nowhere to be found and Steve is working late, so you and Billy eventually distract each other completely from the movie.

Before you had gotten pregnant, Billy would have just thrown you over the back of the couch and fucked you until you lost all feeling in your legs. But with you being seven months pregnant now, he had to be gentle. He moves you to your bedroom and begins undressing you.

After an hour of Billy fucking you slowly from behind, you sit naked in bed, Billy laying between your legs, watching his cum run slowly down your pussy.

"God, I'm going to miss this," he says, running a thumb over your tender spot. "I really don't want to start using condoms again."

"Well," you say, playing with his hair, "pulling out didn't really work so well for us... So..."

"Yeah, yeah."

You smile down at him. "You excited to be a lifeguard?"

He shrugs. "I think I would have liked it more at a beach, but yeah." He scoots over and lays his head on your chest, running his hand over your belly. "I'm more excited for you to bring our daughter to the pool once she's old enough, so I can teach her to swim." He kisses your stomach. "What about naming her Nikki?"

"I swear to God, if you keep suggesting names from metal bands..."

Billy sighs. "Were not naming her something boring."

*

One week into Billy's new gig as a lifeguard, you finally make it down to the pool to visit him. You sit in the shade of a large umbrella and wait for Billy to start his shift. As soon as he steps outside, the mood shifts.

His tanned muscles glisten in the hot sun, and you're not the only one who notices. Every girl turns to stare at him, even the mothers watching their children. You spot Nancy's mom, reclined on a deck chair, watching Billy closely.

Not noticing you tucked away under an umbrella, he walks over to his post, taking a minute to stub out his cigarette and take a swig from his water bottle. You make your way over to him, aware of all the eyes following you.

"You seem pretty popular," you say, teasingly.

Billy turns, smiling as soon as he sees you. "I didn't know my girls were coming to visit today." He places a hand on either side of your pregnant belly and leans in to kiss you.

"Wanted to surprise you," you say, pulling away. A lot of the girls who had been drooling over Billy stand in shock, their mouths agape. Billy notices you watching them and chuckles.

"It's worse than it was at school," he says and nods at someone walking past.

You laugh. "Yeah, because you actually wore clothes at school."

"So did you come here to swim or tease me all day?" he asks with a smile.

You slip off your cover-up to reveal a cute ruffled bathing suit. Billy eyes you approvingly before tucking your discarded dress under his lifeguard stand and leading you to the shallow end of the pool. He hops in and holds a hand out to you. You take it, stepping gingerly into the cool water and letting Billy guide you into his arms. The water relieves some of the pressure the baby had been putting on your body and you sigh happily.

Billy kisses you on the lips, then the stomach, before heading to his stand and starting his shift. You swim around lazily, trying to avoid wily children, and let the sun dance across your wet skin. You know Billy is watching you closely because he yells at a few rowdy people to 'watch out for the pregnant girl' next to them.

His overprotectiveness of you and the baby makes you smile. In less than two months, he would meet your little girl, and you suspect he will only get more protective. You look up at him. He's playing with his whistle, running it over his bottom lip, and staring down at you.

After a while, the sun starts to feel too hot and your eyes begin to ache from the light and the chlorine. You climb gingerly out of the pool and Billy climbs down to meet you.

"Heading out already, babe?" he asks with a pout.

You lay your head on his shoulder. "I'm sorry. I'm just tired and sore. Are you still coming over for dinner after work?"

"Of course. I can't stay late tonight, though. I picked up an extra shift at the auto shop in the morning."

Billy's been working his ass off to save up enough money to get a little place for the three of you. He even almost sold his car, but you talked him out of it. It was his baby. Well, his other baby.

*

You spend the rest of June making sure the nursery is set up, visiting Billy and Steve at their jobs, and hanging out with Max when she's not spending her time with Lucas.

With only a few weeks left to go before the baby comes, you're starting to feel anxious. You can tell Billy is too. He spends almost every night at your house to keep an eye on you, even though you tell him Steve would look after you, too. He starts getting scared to have sex again, even when the doctor tells him you could have sex up until you go into labor.

You hope he calms down once the baby is born. Between worrying about you and picking up every shift he can at each of his jobs, he's been worn thin. He smokes even more now than he used to, sometimes burning through two or three cigarettes at a time before he comes back inside.

You plan a sexy little date night with him on the last day of June, something to help him unwind. Just the two of you, at 8 o'clock after his shift at the shop, at the Motel 6 on Cornwallis.