Prologue: Rebirth... In A Way

A/N

This is the sequel to Before I Die! Please make sure to have read it first, or this won't make much sense! For those who know exactly what you're here for, welcome back!

Sea green eyes opened, and jumped to attention. The room was unfamiliar, never seen before. Shelves neatly arranged in isles was the only indication as to the space of the room. Perfectly organized along each shelf were books. Like a library. 

A hand reached out to grasp a book from the closest shelf. It bore no title, no label, no indication as to what was inside. Opening the cover revealed the pages to be blank, but it quickly became a different story- one that played itself out before the sea green eyes.

A mother, cuddling a baby to her chest. Her gentle eyes were filled with joy as she brushed her fingers over the slight raven fuzz atop the baby's head. The mother began to hum a tune that was quickly recognized. The image vanished, leaving an empty book in curious hands.

It was quickly realized that the books contained memories. This library was Perseus Jackson's life. Perseus Jackson.

What had he just been doing? He'd been talking to the Fates! What happened? What did the Fates do?

If this was like the dream world, wouldn't waking up work? But it didn't, no matter what Percy tried, consciousness would not come. Frantically, Percy searched through the shelves, opening any book that might have answers.

God or mortal?

Memory after memory flashed by, and Percy remembered things that had long been forgotten. Other things started appearing on the shelves, toys and trinkets, favorite clothes, hated clothes, novels that couldn't be read due to dyslexia, picture novels he'd loved, favorite movie CD's. 

Percy still couldn't figure out what had happened, didn't know what had been done. Percy's hands brushed over a smooth object, and sea green eyes snapped to it, startled by the change in texture. A mirror.

Percy hefted the mirror, and the image that was reflected was not his own. Startled, he dropped it. When the mirror hit the ground, the thunk that accompanied it was muffled. Percy blinked, then bent over to pick it up, thinking that it must have been some kind of trick. He saw wrong, right?

But before he had even reached it, the reflection was making the same motions he was. Or, as the mirror thought, she.

Percy looked down at himself, just to confirm that the mirror was crazy. Apparently the mirror was just fine, because Percy wasn't.

That was not his body.

That was his sister's reflection.

Percy's hands were soft, absent were the callouses that he'd gained from his swordsmanship, the small scars were non-existent. Percy didn't want to see what else had changed, because from here, the white ethereal dress was very clear. 

What the hell happened?

Why was he a girl?

Why did nothing in his goddamned life make any sense?

"This isn't funny!" Percy tried to yell out to the Fates, but he couldn't get his voice to work right. It didn't feel the same as it used to. Instead, a strangled noise escaped. Percy thought that wasn't particularly inaccurate for the situation either.

Wake up, wake up, wake up, the silent mantra filled Percy's head as he(She?) hit it repeatedly. Come on, this can't be real.

It couldn't be real. It just couldn't.

But if it was just a dream, then why couldn't he wake up?