22.

E R I C

She was focussed on her laptop taking frequent sips from her coffee, Nonna made for us.

Damn! I had such a hard time to control the grin when she agreed to work with me.
Ok may be just for this project.
But I'll make sure I extend her service.

"Sir the structure is compatible with the location. And about finances, I think we should use the last year profit fund in this. That would be enough."

I hummed at her suggestion clearly distracted.

Oh Eric! Hold yourself!

I sat up straight and stern, "Let me check."

We continued our work unless dad decided to disrupt our peace.

"Both of you are busy. I thought I'll have someone to talk with.", Dad made a fake pout, clearly amused.

"We are busy dad.", I said in a bored tone not waiting to glance up at him.

"Ahh James I will just finish it and come.", That's why she is my parent's favourite.

"Erica I am your boss. You will work unless I permit you to leave.", I said sternly.
However, Dad was amused and she with a bent head was smiling too, "Not yet."

I shook my head and focussed on my work.
But I'll admit she looks quite cute when smiling, and that happens rarely with me around.

When we came down for dinner, I expected only Nonna but my complete family was there,excluding David, who I better not think about.

"Ah both of you are done!", Mom exclaimed..
"Aww my babies, you don't have to work on holidays.", Nonna commented.
I ignored it while Erica answered them politely explaining the work was important and bla bla.

"So nonna I'll have to leave early for I have to go to this island i plan to buy.", Everyone gasped except the one beside me. Because she already knew.

Dad smiled proudly, "I am proud of you son! You're extending our property so well. I knew I'll cherish my decision to hand you the throne."

Mom's face, however fell, "Eric will you not come to your mansion?"

My eating halted and I became stiff suddenly.

I felt Nonna's hand on mine giving it a slight squeeze..

I remember how she lectured me yesterday to forget the past and cherish the present.
And how both my parents are staying here, just for the sake of spending time with me.
And to convince me to go back to the mansion, I left years ago.

The table went silent as everyone anticipated my reaction with expectant eyes.

I am not called heartless or cold for no reasons.
I ignored those eyes and focussed on my food.

The faces of elders definitely fell, but I stopped myself from being bothered.

I won't go to that place.

"We will come Nonna!", I heard a chirpy voice of the one sitting beside me.

My head snapped in her direction to find my brown haired PA giving them a assured smile.

What!?
Who is she to decide!?

I clutched my fork but remained silent because the last time I reacted, I messed it up very badly.

The table became happy again. But I was raging from inside.

Once done, I stood up, "Erica come in the study. I want to have a 'word' with you."