13. Manipulation pt. 2

Hopper and Joyce left 30 minutes before their appointment while El showered and Jamie got dressed into an outfit that Joyce washed during the night. Jamie threw a few things into her bookbag and went to knock on the bathroom door.

"Hey, El", she called out.

"Yes?", El called back from the shower.

"Um... I'm not feeling well, So I'm just gonna be taking a nap in the room okay?"

"Okay, hope you feel better Jai. I will try to be quiet."

Jamie felt bad for lying to El, but she needed to get some fresh air. She knew that if she told El the truth, El would surely tell their dad. Jamie quickly grabbed her backpack and headed out the door, locking it with a quick flick of her head.

Jamie didn't know where she was going, but she knew that she needed to clear her mind. Her idea was to stay hidden, respecting part of her fathers wishes, but the other part thought about what nana said.

Jamie walked down the road with her hood on for about 15 minutes before making it to the first bus stop. Ironically, a bus was approaching. Jamie took that as a sign and hopped on the bus and sat in the back with her earbuds in. Jamie looked out the window with wide eyes as she marveled the small town that was nothing like New York. She'd slept in the car with her dad when she first arrived, so she hasn't seen much of the town.

As the bus stopped outside of Starcourt Mall, Jamie got off and did a full 360 spin taking in everything around her. She went inside the mall and instantly went towards the food court as she missed out on breakfast. When she looked in her bag for her wallet, she instinctively pulled out her debit card.

"Shit", she thought. Using it could leave a paper trail as to where she could be, but she knew she didn't have much cash, and she was hungry.

As she searched through her bag, Jamie rolled her eyes and smacked her lips. "$3.50, guess I should've ate before I left huh", she joked to herself.

"Hey!", a voice called out from the ice cream parlor Jamie wound up standing in front of.

Jamie looked up towards the voice and saw a tall, long haired boy standing behind the counter.

"You want a free sample? It's free....", he said awkwardly.

"Um...sure. What do you have?", Jamie said as she walked over to the display case and looked at the half filled tubs of ice cream.

"We pretty much have whatever you want... I like the strawberry cheesecake flavor", he said as he handed Jamie a spoon with a generous amount of ice cream on it.

"My names Steve..."

"Hi, I'm Jamie", she said plopping the spoon in her mouth.

Steve watched with dreamy eyes as Jamie slid the spoon slowly out of her mouth. He didn't realize how hard he was staring until Jamie cleared her throat.

"Ehhmm. I said can I have a small bowl of the cheese cake flavor", Jamie repeated herself annoyingly but kindly flashed a smile and laughed.

"Oh, yeah. Yeah. Sorry 'bout that, I was just... nothing. Here ya go", Steve said as he handed Jamie the bowl along with a napkin.

Jamie felt herself getting slightly annoyed, but started to blush at the fact that Steve was nearly speechless.

"Uh... aren't you gonna tell me my total?", she asked with a slight smile.

"No.. no it's on the house", he mumbled.

"Thanks", Jamie said as she flashed another smile and turned to leave the parlor.