Chapter twenty eight[*]

Confused. I blink. Open my mouth but quickly close it. I repeated this action few times. I researched my mind for a respond or to even understand what he means but came up short.

The only think I could manage to reply is

"What do you mean you were protecting me from you? Have you gone rogue?"

"What no! NEVER"

"Then what on Earth are you talking about?"

-are you talking in British accent?-

Calvin stares at me for a while then turns giving me his back. He takes a seat at the edge of the bed. By the way he is behaving, I reckon I need a seat. Perhaps I would need a bottle of Zoom at the end...

"I killed my girlfriend"

Make that two. Or ten. Yeah definitely ten.

"I would need you to explain. You can't just leave me at the cliff. What do you mean you killed your girlfriend"

I didn't even know he had a girlfriend.

"I'm not worthy of you"he ignores my question

"We already know that. What I want to know is what do you mean you killed your girlfriend. What ever reason would you do that! My goodness I have allowed the kids to be part your life. I deserve to know the reason"

-really going with the accent aren't you?-

I'm distressed! I always speak with an accent when I am! Don't judge me!

Calvin's head snaps to me.

"I have the right to know my children. You don't get to allow me. I can! It is in my right!"

"Calvin"I say his name firmly. "I won't ask you again. Explain yourself now"

"Don't demand things from me Charlotte"he snarls.

Anger flashing in his eyes.

"Explain.your.self"I growl.

His head snaps back, once again getting me his back.

"I had met Mary at the age of 13. She was a female Alpha and her pack was far from mine so we only saw each other at the training camps we went to and wrote to each other when we were away"he pauses.

He takes a deep shaky breath as if this is torture. I suppose it is quite difficult. Noting this, I don't pressure him to continue but rather wait for him to continue and that he does.

"We were good friends. Had been for 2 years before we decided to try the long distance thing. I believe it had worked. I thought I loved her. I think I did. If you could at that age."

I couldn't stop the pain that touched my heart. Both out of envy and hurt for him.

"Besides from Tom, she was my best friend"his voice broke at the end. "We weren't supposed to be dating. Our packs are not in war but our fathers don't like each other. We dated in secret. I hadn't told anyone not even Tommy."

This is why I hadn't even heard of Mary. And also if he had loved her why did he kill her.

-I don't think he means literally-

I should hope not!

-again with the accent-

"There was one summer that Tom didn't come with me, it was just Alpha training."

"Yes. I remember that. You just turned 16"

He nods.

"Yeah. It was a lovely summer. I got to spend more time with Mary and everyday I spend with her I was sure I fell in love."