Chapter 12(Suspicions Arise and Tattletale AIs)

Today was Peter's first day in Mr. Stark's personal lab. He couldn't decide if he was excited or nervous. He just knew that RAAJA kept commenting on his elevated heart rate before he left his apartment. Peter rubbed his wrist as the elevator took him up to the correct level. It was still sore. RAAJA had scanned it an hour ago and said that it was mended but still healing and to take it easy. His swing through the city hadn't helped. But it reminded him that he needed to practice using his natural webs so that he could get better. Sure, at the beginning he couldn't afford time to practice so web shooters had been the easier option. But the Avengers had reminded him that there may come a day when he has to rely on his natural webs. So that meant that he had to get better at aim and distance. He would have to find time to practice later. But he needed to wait for his wrist to finish healing. Usually fractured bones healed in a matter of hours but he was still underfed after living on his own, so it would take a while to get back to full strength. It should be fine in about an hour but it still hurt a little bit. But he was going to be working in a lab. It's not like he was going out to be Spiderman. He'd be fine. Or so he kept telling himself.

-------------

Tony was working in his lab, he'd been there for a while now. He was analyzing the salvageable scraps of Spiderman's web shooter. It had fallen off when Hulk had grabbed the vigilante's wrist. There wasn't much salvageable since Hulk had crushed it, but out of all the Avengers he had been the only one able to detain the vigilante for a little. Granted the bug still escaped, but now they had some evidence. He wasn't quite sure what evidence could be gained from the scraps, but Tony was determined to find something. He was examining a piece that appeared to be were the web was contained when Natasha walked in. He stopped what he was doing and turned to face her.

"What do you need?"

She raised an eyebrow at his curtness but wasn't surprised. Most of the Avengers weren't in the best of moods after their humiliating defeat. It didn't help that Fury yelled at them all afterwards.

"I wanted to show you some video footage we found from the scene." she handed him a tablet.

"JARVIS transfer video to holo-screens." A large holo-screen appeared showing the end of the battle. It showed Spiderman jumping from the roof and swinging through the streets using one wrist. But then, he started using two. "JARVIS, stop video." Tony stared at the screen. Hulk had crushed a web shooter, so how was the bug still using both wrists? "Do we know if he had a backup?"

"We can't tell. This is the only camera that captured the scene. We blacked out the rest during the fight just in case he somehow had access to them."

Tony rubbed his chin. "So either he had a backup, or..."

"He has another power we don't know about."

"Exactly." Tony sighed. "Thanks for bringing this, Nat."

She nodded before grabbing the tablet and sauntering out.

"Sir, the intern Peter has arrived and is coming up to the lab."

Tony groaned. He had forgotten about Peter. Oh well, it would get him a chance to distract himself from thinking of the spider. And now he had a chance to get to know Peter better. Figure out if he was some evil dude bent on taking over the world or just a smart kid down on his luck.

The lab doors opened and in walked the awkward kid Tony remembered from the labs.

"Hey Peter, how are you doing?"

"Uh, I'm doing good." Peter said rubbing the back of his neck nervously. "So what do you want me to do?"

"I didn't really plan anything. Honestly I forgot you were coming. So just do whatever." Tony said waving in the general direction of a semi-empty table.

"Ok." Peter walked over setting his backpack down and clearing some more space. Tony went back to examining the web shooter. The small piece he was looking at earlier did indeed appear to be some kind of container. If he could figure out what the spider's webs were made of he may be able to fabricate a chemical to disintegrate them. Sure he had gotten scraps from webbing before but that hadn't led to any discoveries. But if he could get a sample of the web still in liquid form then maybe something would come up.

"Boss" JARVIS's voice said in his ear, using the earpiece instead of the room speakers, strange.

"What is it?" Tony said quietly.

"Peter appears to be in pain."

Tony furrowed his brow, "What do you mean?"

"His wrist appears to be bothering him."

Tony glanced over at the boy and sure enough he was rubbing his left wrist. "Hey kid, you okay?"

Peter startled, turning around quickly. "Uh, yeah I'm fine."

Tony stared at him for a few seconds before going back to his work. He didn't have time for this, he needed to find that arachnid so they could get Fury off their backs. After a while he moved on to another project and it was few hours before he noticed the kid was gone. "JARVIS were did the kid go?"

"He left an hour ago."

"Why didn't he say anything?"

"Perhaps he did not wish to disturb you." Tony huffed. "Also, Steve is saying that you should come down to eat something, the rest of the Avengers are already gathered in the kitchen." Tony looked at the time and realized he had almost missed another meal. Pepper would kill him if he started skipping meals again, so with reluctance he headed down to the communal kitchen.

------

Peter was sitting on his couch at the apartment fiddling with one of his web shooters.

"RAAJA, I have determined that JARVIS is a tattletale."

"Obviously, that piece of half formed consciousness wouldn't think twice about betraying a hero like you to their egotistical, hypocritical creator."

Peter laughed, "RAAJA, don't be so mean." Peter said, but he was still laughing. "I was just saying that JARVIS seemed to notice my wrist hurt and told Mr. Stark. I heard something coming from his earpiece but I didn't bother to pay attention to what." Peter paused, "Do you think he suspects something? I mean Spiderman injures his wrist and then I show up with a hurting wrist. Do you think he'll figure it out?" Peter said starting to panic.

"Everything will be fine, Peter. They don't know Spiderman has super healing so they'll think he'll still be unable to use his wrist." RAAJA said, "Maybe you should hold off on being Spiderman for a while. Just in case. Make them think you had to heal." She added hesitantly, almost sounding worried.

"You know I can't do that RAAJA. The city needs me." Peter said, calming down slightly.

RAAJA made a noise that sounded like a sigh. "I know, I'm just worried. I don't want them getting their hands on you."

Peter gazed at one of RAAJA's cameras sympathetically, "It'll be okay. Besides, I have you to watch my back now." Peter smiled sadly. "We'll be okay."

New chapter!

Votes and Comments are apricated

Till next time 

Sayonara peoples!