The Guy Who Gave Up His Jersey(27)

Xavier brown eyes stared down at me sadly. The day that we dreaded the most had finally showed up, our parents were officially divorce.  Last night when everything finally settled down, I broke down. I couldn’t believe everything that I thought was impossible happened; my life was torn apart.

“So I guess this is it,” I whispered, tugging my hands in my jacket pockets.

Xavier nodded. “I guess so.” He muttered, looking away from me.

I placed my hands on both sides of his cheek making him look down at me. “It’s okay.” I whispered. He had been so calm and quiet about everything, that I knew he was just waiting for me to leave to break down.

He chuckled, avoiding looking at me. “I don’t want you to go. Who am I going to watch over now?” He asked me.

“Linda, dad, and yourself.” I teased him.

He rolled his eyes. “I mean who is going to watch over you? Who is going to hold you when you need someone? Whose-“I placed my finger on top of his lip, shushing him.

“I can take care of myself now, Xavier. You don’t have to worry anymore about me.” I reassured him.

I was kind of lying to him, the fact that he wasn’t going to be around me anymore, it scared me. When I actually needed someone he wasn’t going to be there, we would be a continent far away. He is probably going to forget about me and I’m probably going to be wishing I stayed.

My mom went up to us, sighing heavily. “The plane is boarding already.” She said quietly.

“I’m coming,” I told her.

She hugged Xavier kissing him on the cheek. “I love you Xavier don’t you forget that, just because your father and I didn’t work out doesn’t mean you stopped being my son. I raised you.” She cried to him.

Xavier nodded. “I love you too mom. And I know,” He stepped back and waved goodbye to her as she walked away from us.

I took in a deep breathe wrapping my arms around Xavier torso. “I’ll miss you.” I mumbled.

“I’ll miss you too. I’ll visit as soon as I graduate.” He promised me.

“And I’ll move back when I graduate,” I promised him.

We gave each other one last hug, both of us fighting the tears. I gazed at him one last time before departing from him. My bottom lip began to tremble and every step was harder to take. I wasn’t just leaving my family, I was leaving the guy I wanted to love, and the friends that meant the world to me.

That morning when I left Control asleep in the media room, my heart shattered. I had never done something so difficult before. I thought breaking up with someone was complicated, but walking away from someone who won your heart is harder. I couldn’t help but to ask myself why I did it. Why didn’t I tell mom I was going to stay here?