17.2 The True Hero

[A/N: Suggestion. Read all the Special chapters from the start. Then continue here so you can follow the flow]

Yan JiaYi hated hospitals the most.

His reason? It is because the bleak and white walls of the solemn place is not a fitting background for a jolly and cheerful person like him. It is as if he is a colorful painting hidden in a dark color. Nobody can see him properly, as well as the fear of losing sight is possible. His whole being can never be seen in a place where most of his secrets are real.

In one of the private rooms of a city hospital, a person can be seen reclining on the white bed. His whole body exuded a healthy figure that anyone watching would assume that he is just here just to take some rest. However, the woman who is sitting on the chair near the hospital bed showed a frown opposing the wonderful picture.

It is as though the calm figure on the bed is just pretending to be fine while the other cried for his original state.

A man holding a clipboard knocked and opened the door. He is wearing a white hospital gown with a couple of pens on the left chest pocket, with a stethoscope lightly hanging around his neck. His salt and pepper colored hair exuded a sense of genuine, the sign of his marking years as he age. The professional entered the room with light steps as his aura spreads out the room. Though anyone can feel the tense pressure, it contained a sense of safety as though rejecting the high status of the individual.

The doctor greeted Yan Mother and otherwise with slight bows and curtsies. They already know each other so there is no need for a lengthy introduction. They only need some few words to recognize each other's attention since formality before friends never really existed. As the Yan Family doctor, it is his responsibility to give his utmost care and respect towards the good family.

The two people settled to the stools beside the hospital bed. Yan JiaYi greeted the doctor with a smile. The doctor asked a few questions about the young man's life - about the school, some activities, girlfriends... like the usual. Yan JiaYi answered him with enthusiasm while Yan Mother would wipe the little tears that escape from their hold. It was quite a pleasant atmosphere until the doctor shifted the conversation to the main topic.

"It has been nine years since the last time you stayed in this hospital. That's almost a decade," the doctor gently said. "Do you still remember the last thing I told you after you got discharged?"

"I might only have three to five more years left," Yan JiaYi answered calmly.

"Correct. However, a doctor's diagnoses will not always be right. See yourself, you are still alive after nine years," the doctor said with a smile, treating this kind of gift as a miracle of life.

"Thank you, I am also very happy to receive a long life," Yan JiaYi agreed.

Yan Mother smiled as she saw her only child smile. This is enough to make her happy. She reached out to the hand of the young man and squeezed it. Yan JiaYi found his sweet mother smiling with tears and can't help but to laugh. This woman, the person who took care of him even without a husband, will always be his support whenever he goes. He thinks that he is very lucky to have such a tender and caring parent.

"Though, I don't want to lie to you. A transplanted heart has an average of nine to ten years of life span. And as what the biopsy tests showed, your body is starting to reject the heart. I will be frank with you. Your heart can only last more or less three to six months," the doctor announced in a firm voice.

Yan JiaYi can feel his mother's hold tightened after hearing those words. Of course, she would be worried. She never thought that her son will die first before her. She tried to hide the tears but it eventually fell when Yan JiaYi caressed the hand of his mother. Yan JiaYi is sad, it is his heart. But her mother who only has Yan JiaYi as her anchor in this world suffered more.