~21~

"What's your relationship with Ventura Nunier and Theodore Ranson, Niccolò?"

Alba let out a deep sigh as she lifted her eyes from her book before she looked back at the wall in front of her. It was the exact wall separating her room from her brother's, and she just couldn't help but think of him.

She gauged it for a moment in thought as she played absently with her lips in a pout before placing her book face down on her bedspread. She straightened up and headed for her desk, leaning against the farthest wall of her bed, before retrieving a woolen vest she put on the way out.

She greeted Greta, one of their cleaning lady, as she walked to her brother's room before stopping in front of his half-open door with an apathetic expression as she saw him doing his exercises as usual.

"It's not counterproductive?" She said as she leaned against the crack with her arms crossed over her chest.

Niccolò paused through his abs, keeping his eyes straight in front of him, before starting again with more vigor. Alba rolled her eyes at his stubbornness before giving a sigh as she left her nails strummed along the opening. "You can't continue to ignore me."

"Or what ? You will send me your friend to talk in your place?" Nicco snapped as he continued to blow between each abs.

"Nadia is just as worried as me. She cares for you."

"Yeah? Well, you can tell her I'm fine." Persisted Niccolò in indifference."Besides, you should also record it now. I don't need you."

Alba left an indignant breath in the irritation before nodding her head, pushing herself from the wall she had just leaned on."Right. You prefer to get help from mamà now."

"What did you just say?" Nicco suddenly exclaimed, pausing abruptly in his exercises before looking at his sister's turned back in mistrust.

Alba ran her tongue along her teeth in frustration before quickly turning around to give him a sharp look."I know for the money. I also know that it was our mother who stole it."

"Shhh!" Nicco cursed, leaping to his feet before rushing over to his sister to put his hand on her lips before giving her a dark look as a warning."Listen to me, Alba. No matter what you think you've found, it's nothing compared to the truth. Do you really think I like to be a damn doggie to our mother? You don't know anything, Alba."

Under the weight of her discoveries Alba remained totally prostrate under the touch of her brother as he gave her a last look before releasing her slowly as she was taking a receding standback.

"Keep Nadia away from me." He finally asked before looking up at his sister with a pleading tone."And stay away from me."