Part 26

Published: Oct. 4, 2019---Sept. 30, 2020

"Are you kidding, Mr. Steele?" Nicole asked after a minute of silence, and Mark is already driving the car to the former's place.

"No, I was not unless your friend met him with another guy."

Nicole turned to her immediately with questioning eyes, which made her explained. "He never saw me with another one. It was only with you when we were in front of the elevator."

"You said this morning you live in the basement. So how come the three of you run into each other in the elevator?"

"Did she tell you she lives in the basement?" Jared asked with amusement in his voice.

"Yes...No she didn't... it was me who assumed she live there," Nicole answered more to herself than to Jared.

"Because you're speculating too much, Nicole, when it's just simple," Mark interrupted.

"What is the reason for you to say that?"

"Mr. Steele can meet your friend in the lobby while he is waiting for the elevator to open. As his assistant secretary, if they meet, they will surely talk. Louis only put a different meaning to it," Mark explained in a no-nonsense attitude.

"Yeah, you are right. Maybe I was overthinking," Nicole admitted after a thought.

Mark parked the car in front of the building he was directed by Nicole to stop, but before she went out of the door, Jared said something that gave all of them a reason to ponder.

"Nicole, if I court your friend, will it be okay with you?"

"I...Is that for real Mr. Steele?" Nicole stammered as she asked while looking at her, who is rendered speechless by his question.

"Yes, it is."

"If you're sincere, who am I to stop you?" Nicole answered after a while and then squeezed her hands before going out of the door opened by Mark.

She wanted to ask Jared about his reason in asking her friend's opinion, but the place is inappropriate.

She did it when they are in their bed while he settles beside her. She turned to look at him before asking. "What is your reason for letting Nicole know you're courting me? I thought you wanted everything about us to be in secret."

He raised her chin to look in her eyes before he answers." She is your close friend here. I know you girls like to talk about men and tell each other's confidential matters. Don't you want it? I am helping you lessen the burden of your secrets?"

"As if it will," she answered to herself but pouted at him.

Her action had invited him for a kiss, his lips touch hers briefly before pulling her closer to him.

"I am sorry, I was stubborn before. I never thought a day would come when I would like to be with a woman forced on me. If I did, you would not go through this complicated life." In a soft voice, he told her.

There was a brief silence afterward. A time for Katelyn's brain to process the words he uttered, but the way he caressed her hair and the warmth of his body distracted her mind. It almost made her snuggle closer in his arms and sleep comfortably.

He kissed her hair before he continues to speak, making her brain get back to its alertness.

"There are things that I need to clear first, and once I have done it, everything will be in its place. But for the time being, can you trust me, Tori?" he whispered in her ear.

What else can she do but nod her head?

Then it dawned in her that Jared said sorry. As far as she knows, a man like him will never admit he made a mistake.