PART 2, SECTION 5

I still couldn't see anything. The tone of Morgan's voice was scaring me.

"Where?"

"There!"

Morgan nodded stiffly toward the field as if she were trying to avoid making any fast movements.

Finally I saw what she was looking at.

I'd been scanning the field itself, searching for someone standing or maybe lying in the stubble. I hadn't looked on top of the bales themselves. They were almost six feet tall, and I knew from experience as a kid that they weren't easy to climb up onto.

But someone had. Two people, in fact.

On top of one of the bales, about three rows from the road, I could just make out a man's back. It was bare. And there were a pair of equally bare women's legs wrapped around him. From this distance I could just tell that they were swaying back and forth together.

It had to have been a couple of high school kids. They must have been enjoying themselves, because I was shining my headlights right toward them now, and they weren't letting up.

Morgan put her hand over her mouth and giggled. "Who is that?"

"Just some kids," I said, not quite sharing Morgan's interest. "Fair's cancelled. What else are they going to do around here? Let's go. Obviously our help isn't exactly needed." 

"No, wait!" Morgan said, still giggling. "It isn't kids! Look! Just pull up a little closer."

I tried to look closer, but I couldn't make out anything I hadn't seen before. "I need to get home. I'm tired."

"Just a little closer! Ash, seriously, it's not kids." Morgan cupped her hands around her eyes and peered out the window. "Who is that?"

I pulled up a little farther. I felt kind of guilty invading these people's privacy like this, but now I was curious about what Morgan thought she saw.

I pulled within about thirty yards from the car.

She was right. It definitely wasn't kids. I could see the man's back more clearly now. He was older. From here, I could see that his hair was gray. And so was the woman's.

"Oh my God," Morgan squealed quietly. "They're not even stopping! It's like they don't even see us. Can you tell who it is?" Morgan asked through a fit of suppressed giggling.

I had no idea. It was too far away to tell. Whoever it was remained completely oblivious to our presence, or, somehow, they just didn't care that we were there.

What was going on? Something was off. I didn't know any middle aged people who would ever act like this, especially not after everyone knew that someone had just died at the high school and half the town was under lockdown. And it wasn't even a full moon.

"What's happening around here?" I said out loud.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Please VOTE 🌟 before continuing! Thanks! ;)  xxBailey