xxxi. the kids are not alright

chapter thirty-one
the kids are not alright

 TEA. IT WAS HOT WATER with dried herbs that melted away in a little bag. There was nothing special about it. But it got settled into people's minds that tea could calm their nerves, ease their minds and push away their worries. . . . Oh, yeah, and help with stomach aches.

 Rue Newby thought it was all a bunch of bullshit.

 The minute Jonathan had set the cup before her, she knew it. "Come on, Rue — just drink at least half of it," He told her, his hands placed on her shoulders softly, careful not to hurt her.

 Rue fought the urge to roll her eyes — if she did, it would only increase her headache. She sighed, gingerly taking the cup in her bandaged hands. "Jonny, you know I don't like tea. . ." Rue pouted, looking up at him as he sat in front of her on the small table.

 Jonathan frowned, reaching across the table to delicately push away the hair that flopped over her face. He looked at the girl sadly, almost in disappointment, not at her, but himself. As her older brother, it was his duty to keep his baby siblings safe. He was Rue's first sibling — her older brother. He was supposed to protect her.

 Rue huffed, sipping on the drink. After she woke up, Nancy and Jonathan had been shoving food and drinks down her throat, saying it was for her health. And Rue knew it was — Rue hasn't eaten anything since yesterday morning, and that was just a granola bar. Rue tried to tell she wasn't hungry, and they only listened when she threw back up the eggs Nancy made for her.