06 - gunshot

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

"What?" I furrow my eyebrows in confusion as all four of us glance to where Ki gestures to with her head. "Do you guys recognize that boat?" Pope asks and all of us shake our heads.

"Nope I've never seen it. What are they even doing back here? The marsh is closed." Ki blinks as she cocks her head to the side, all out our eyes still glued on the boat that was nearing us. "I don't know but let's not stick around to find out." JJ advises before leaning over the side of the boat.

"JJ get the bowline" John b says as he climbs into the captains seat and JJ nods, hoisting it up from underwater. "Should we wait on em?" I hear Pope ask as glance back at the boat, noticing that they aren't slowing down. "No we're not waiting on them! Now let's get going they're getting closer," I hiss as I start pulling up the stern.

"JJ hurry up," Ki pleads next to me, bouncing up and down on her heels nervously. "Guys don't wait for me- don't wait for me." JJ shouts, his voice shaking a little bit as he pulls the rope up and I offer my hand to help him. He gladly puts some of the rope into my hand and I hear John B start the boat's engine.

"Let's go!" Ki shouts, obviously just as scared as all of us as Pope mutters, "Maybe they're are trying to catch some fish?" I glance back to see that they are catching up fast. "Go go go!" "Let's go!" Both Ki and JJ shout at John B as he steers info the marsh, trying to act as natural as possible.

I try to keep my eye on them as we round the corner to see them take the same route as is, revving up their engine. "Uh guys they're following us." I shout warily as both JJ and John b look back to confirm what I am already seeing."Shit this can't be good." Pope remarks as JJ pushes by me, yelling at John B to go faster.

As we round another corner I notice that one of the guys pulling out a shotgun and my eyes widen. "Guys get down!" I manage to yell out before a shot rings out and we all drop to the bottom of the boat. "Holy shit," I hear Ki gasp from behind me as John b tries to make the boat go faster.

Another shot rings out as we go around the next corner, making Pope whimper, "Oh my god we're all going to die." I fight back the urge to roll my eyes as I see the man reload, aiming right at John b's head.

"John B duck!" I shout before the shot rings out, missing his head by a millimeter as he ducks. "Thanks Del." He gasps, popping back up to steer. Clearly agitated, the boat driver revs his engine once again as I hear Kiara tell Pope to move before crouching next to me.

"What the hell are you doing get back down!" I hiss as she points to the net at the back of the boat and I nod, getting up and walking towards to back of the boat with her. We're almost done untangling it when another shot is fired and I feel a searing pain in my calf. "Get down you guys!" John b yells from behind us but we choose to ignore it, finally getting the damn thing untangled and we throw it forward then drop back down.