12. Mind-fuck

"It's almost getting dark

"It's almost getting dark."

You breathed heavily, as you looked around the now very clear forest. You shook in fear, the tears continuing their path down your face, due to what had just happened. You had just experienced Varian dying in your arms, without being able to do anything, and now, he and the mist was suddenly gone.

Your vision was a weird shade of blue, and it was also foggy. Some of it was still inside you, messing with your head.

Put it together (Y/n), it wasn't real! You said to yourself, but your body couldn't help it. Your sanity tried to convince your eyes, your ears, the other half of your mind that what you had just experienced wasn't real, but something in you wouldn't listen. Your knees went weak, and you fell onto the cold ground, eyes winded in shock. It hadn't been real, it sure felt like it had. You had felt Varian in your very arms, you had seen his face as he had died, you had heard him scream in pain, heard his sobs, heard his loud breathing slowly die out. You wanted to be strong, you wanted to convince yourself that it probably had been the fog messing with your head, just like Cass had said, but at this moment you just couldn't.

"(Y/n)!" Someone yelled, but you barely heard it, due to your own sobs and the loud ringing in your ears.

"(Y/n) I don't feel so good, I-" He had told you, collapsing onto the ground in pain. That sentence, those words, were on replay in the back of your head. You covered your ears as if it should help, and cried. It was so real. It had been so real.

"Quick, she's over there!" Another familiar voice spoke up in the distance, but you couldn't hear it. You swung back and forth on the cold ground, keeping your eyes sealed shut.

"Gah!" He had screamed in pain. His arms were holding his stomach, his breathing had sped up until it suddenly had stopped. It had stopped. His heart had stopped.

"Quick, give her the antidote!" Someone yelled right beside you, but it sounded like they were so far away.

"(Y/n)? I don't feel so good, I-" You kept watching the very same scenario in your head, over and over again.

Please make it stop...

Stop...

His heart had stopped.

Someone held up your chin, forcing your mouth open with their fingers, but you barely noticed. You weren't there, not really.

His body was shaking uncontrollably. Until it didn't anymore. Until it went limp. His body went limp in your arms.

Some liquid was held down your throat, and you started coughing wildly. Something in your head was clearing up, and you could slowly feel your body relax. Your mind was slowly beginning to discriminate reality from fantasy.