[ CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE]

1492, England

The large ball room was full to the brim, hundreds of privileged vampires had travelled across the wall to attend the mighty Klaus Mikaelson's grand celebration. 

Though the guests were mostly supernatural beings, the odd wealthy lord was weaved within the hordes, unaware of the monsters among them as they socialised.

With her arm linked through Nik's, Astrid smiled, greeting the guests that passed every once and while before Nik pulled her away, bored of the pointless conversations.

Turning to glance at his wife, Klaus couldn't deny she was no doubt the most beautiful woman in the room, she was as stunning as her self-portraits, not a single flaw in sight.

She was wearing the new gown he had treated her too, specifically for the occasion, an ivory gown with an open neckline. 

The skirt was wide and large decorated with small jewels and sparkling embellishments, whilst the bodice had a pearly shimmer to it and showcased her small waist.

Two large diamonds were hung from her ears, swaying with each movement, whilst a thick pearl necklace was strung around her neck, the large jewels laying temptingly between her ample cleavage.

Astrid looked every bit of the very queen she truly was. Klaus had never felt prouder as he walked alongside her, her confidence unwavering.

"You look beautiful, my love." He told her as they walked down the grand staircase, vampires and witches alike departing like the red sea to let the notorious couple through.

Lips curving into a smile, Astrid glanced at her husband. "Thank you, Nik. Happy birthday. I love you, forever and always."

Niklaus grinned. "Forever and always."

As his grip tightened, preventing her from walking any further, he gently spun her towards him, resting his hands on the tempting dip of her waist.

His nose brushed against hers, his lips teasingly inches away from her as she grinned. She could feel his hot breath against her shapely lips.

"My lord! My lord! I have something to show you, a birthday gift!" Trevor practically ran up the staircase, almost tripping over his feet, interrupting the couple much to their displeasure.

An animalistic growl left Nik's lips as he glared at Trevor coldly.

Chuckling, Astrid weaved her arm back through his. "I'll make it up to you later, my love." She promised, more amused than annoyed by the situation.

Niklaus watched as Trevor paled slightly, realising how pissed off Klaus truly was, taking a nervous step back. 

"Or I can show you later, lord Klaus." He mumbled making Klaus snort.

What a pathetic vampire. But who wouldn't be scared of an original, especially one as notorious as him.

With Astrid's encouragement, Nik and herself followed Trevor as he guided them through the crowds.

As they walked along, Astrid found herself spotting familiar faces within the crowd, Rebekah was flirting with an old vampire who was known to be rather sadistic and ruthless, just like his sire, while Kol was dancing with a witch, his hands crudely on her bottom as she giggled.

Astrid giggled at the sight, perhaps Kol was slowly moving on. He deserved to be happy, and sadly Astrid couldn't be the one to make him happy.

As Trevor came to a stop, Astrid furrowed her eyebrows together, wondering what the hell Trevor had gotten Klaus, and why he thought he was going to impress the original so much.

Elijah was stood nearby, talking to a girl who had her back turned towards them. He seemed rather stunned, though he managed to speak to the woman.

"So where is this mysterious host I've heard so much about?" The woman asked, her tone of voice oddly familiar to Astrid.

Elijah chuckled, managing to send her a smile. "Fashionably late. He likes to make an entrance."

Clearing his throat, Elijah's eyes flickered to the approaching trio.

"Here he is."

The woman with dark curly hair turned around, shocking Astrid. It... It couldn't be. Tatia? That wasn't possible! Esther had killed her.

How the hell was she standing before them after all these years?

Tatia smiled nervously, eyes flickering between the couple. "Katerina, may I introduce to you the Lord Niklaus and his wife, Lady Astrid."

Katerina? So, if this wasn't Tatia, then it had to be a doppelgänger, a relative from the Petrova bloodline.

Curtsying to the couple, Katerina smiled nervously. She seemed rather overwhelmed.

"Niklaus is the name my father gave me. Please. Call me Klaus." Klaus smirked, taking her small hand in his before placing a chaste kiss on her knuckles.

The woman blushed slightly as she let her hand fall back to her side.

Astrid, managing to recover from her shock sent Katerina a friendly smile. So, this was the job Trevor had been running.

Her husband had a knowing look in his eyes, his smirk screaming mischief and cunningness. He knew something she didn't.

"From where have you come, Katerina?" Astrid asked politely, sending her a reassuring smile.

Katerina relaxed at the warmth Astrid radiated. She was very beautiful; Katerina could not lie.

She couldn't help but feel envious of the brunette across from her, but she supposed a man like Klaus would not be with just any woman.

"I'm new to town, my lady."

Elijah turned to Klaus and Astrid with a smile. "Katerina is from Bulgaria." He informed the pair.

Raising her brows in surprise, Astrid turned back to Katerina. She was incredibly impressed by Katerina's English; she would have thought the girl originated from England.

The brunette seemed rather embarrassed, shuffling as she tried to bury her nerves beneath pretty smiles.

Astrid wasn't entirely sure why Katerina would be ashamed to bring up her birthplace, but she supposed not all courts would be so welcoming to 'foreigners'.

"Zdravei, Katerina."

The pretty girl let out a delighted laugh at the unexpected use of her mother tongue.

"Very good." She praised as Astrid smiled.

Katerina seemed very sweet, but something didn't settle right with Astrid. Why would Klaus want Tatia's doppelgänger as a 'present', he had despised Tatia for trying to get between them.

She couldn't figure it out. But she knew not to ignore her gut instinct, it had kept her alive and away from Mikael for all this time, so she wasn't going to start ignoring it now.

Glancing around the room, Astrid's eyes caught the sight of Kol. He was spinning a giggling woman around the dance floor, his eyes briefly meeting hers.

Flashing her a wink, Kol had no shame as Astrid's gaze darted elsewhere, frowning to herself.

Something wasn't right, and she was going to figure it out.

...

Thank so much for the comments and votes guys! 

Please comment and vote for another chapter!:)