77. changes

The next day brought with it a flurry of emotions. Bellamy was gone. He had come into Raven's tent early this morning. I had woken up upon his entrance, but I didn't open my eyes. He stood still for a moment before whispering a quiet, "I'm sorry."

He left soon after that.

Part of me hated myself for not getting up, for not pulling him into a hug and never letting go. But the other part of me hated him, hated him for leaving me.

We had made it back to camp in good time. Clarke had stayed back at the Grounder village while the rest of us had returned home. We were met with curious mumbles at what had happened out there? Where as Bellamy? Why was I covered in bandages? I ignored everyone's stares as I made my way to the outskirts of camp, where I had gone the night Finn died when I couldn't sleep.

This time I actually planned to leave the camp. Just as I was ducking underneath the part of the fence Raven had deactivated, a voice called out to me, "Where are you going?"

I paused, turning slowly to meet the gaze of John Murphy. I rolled my eyes as I proceeded to the other side of the fence, "For a walk."

Murphy didn't break eye contact, "The Grounders are on their way here. Kane wanted all of us in the Ark in 30 minutes."

"Good for him." I muttered, turning toward the forest.

"Come on Avery!" Murphy called from behind me, "You have to be there."

I rolled my eyes as I turned and faced him, "Relax, John. I'll be there. I just need some time alone okay?"

For one of the first times since I had known him, John Murphy did something nice, "I'll cover for you until you get back."

A small smile came to my lips as I nodded, "Thank you."

"Be careful!" he called as I disappeared into the forest.

A sense of calm came over me as I walked through the trees. I missed the smell of the trees, the sound of the leaves rustling in the wind. Our new camp was in an opening, it wasn't far from the forest but it didn't feel like it did at the drop ship-our original home.

I found a small stream, and sat by it for the next 30 minutes or so. I though about Finn, about Bellamy and I thought about myself. I had never been me without Finn. Even when we weren't physically together, he was always there. However, now he wasn't, I had to be me on my own.

I decided that I shouldn't be gone too long, afraid someone might realize I was missing. So, after I felt somewhat at peace, I returned to camp.

When I got back, the Grounders were already there and were inside the Ark. I slipped in wordlessly, moving to stand beside Murphy who was seated, a drink in his hand.

He turned to me just as Kane started speaking, "Octavia was looking for you." he whispered, taking another swig of whatever was in his cup.

My eyes roamed the room until they landed on my best friend, "What did you tell her?" I asked, my eyes still on Octavia.

Murphy shrugged, "Told her you were in the bathroom."

It was now that I looked over at him, my jaw slacking, "For 30 minutes?"

He chuckled, "When you gotta go, you gotta go."

I narrowed my eyes at him as I crossed my arms over my chest, leaning against the wall as I began listening to Kane, "You suck, Muprhy." I muttered, shooting him a small smile as a way of saying thanks.

The two of us fell into silence as Kane spoke. He was trying to glorify this alliance we had with the Grounders, make it seem like it was the greatest thing to happen to us. I knew it wasn't.

Just as I was thinking about how dangerous of a meeting this was, having us and the Grounders in a small space, one of them walked up to Murphy and I. He was probably around our age, maybe a bit older, and he wore a dark expression.

I shifted uncomfortably as he stopped in front of us, his eyes locked on Murphy.

Murphy didn't cower at the Grounder's stares, instead he smirked, "You got a problem?"

The Grounder began speaking in Trigedasleng. His voice was low, but it was full of anger.

Murphy and I shared a quick look before he let out a small laugh, "I'm sorry man, I don't speak Grounder."

The man responded by knocking the cup from Murphy's hand, sending liquid flying everywhere, including all over my face. I let out a gasp as I wiped my face, "Hey!" I yelled, just as Murphy shoved the man back.

This gathered the attention of everyone else in the room.

"Mr. Murphy!" Kane called out as Murphy and the man had what could only be described as a stare down, "Apologize to that man right now."

Murphy didn't take his eyes off the Grounder, "For what?" he spat, "He was the one who came at me."

"Two days work detail." Kane snapped, giving Murphy a repercussion for doing nothing wrong.

My head snapped towards Kane as I scoffed, "Murphy didn't do anything." I argued, earning a piercing glare from Kane. I wasn't Murphy's best friend but there was no way I was going to let him get in trouble for sticking up for himself against a Grounder.

"Miss Collins, I suggest you don't get yourself involved in this." He warned.

Murphy was just as upset as I was, "Work detail?" he deadpanned, "I just told you I didn't do anything-"

"Care to make it three?" Kane's voice boomed against the walls as he began taking a few steps closer to us.

I stepped out from where I was standing behind Murphy and the Grounder so Kane could see me, "That's bullshit." I snapped, "Murphy didn't do a single thing wrong."

Octavia sent me a confused look from where she was standing, she was begging me to stop before I got myself in trouble.

Kane stared me down for a moment before turning his back on me. I knew he was trying to go easy on me, after what I had been through. But I didn't want his sympathy, I didn't want anyone's for that matter.

Rolling my eyes, I turned back towards Murphy who finally broke his stare with the Grounder. Just as he turned away, the Grounder whispered something that made my blood boil, "You're going to burn just like your friend".

Clearly, it hit a nerve with Murphy as well, as this was the moment all hell broke loose. Murphy spun back around, sending his fist into the man's face. Several other people followed suit, Grounders and Sky people began shoving, hitting and yelling at one another.

Usually, I would have been one of the first to try and break up the fight, but today all I did was take a step back. My eyes met Kane's as he frantically tried to stop the quarrels. I rose my brows slightly as if to say "Look what you did."

I knew we were stronger with the Grounders, but I also knew they couldn't all be trusted, and this right here, was a prime example why.