Chapter 104: Fifth Life - For a Moment

Starting another day of business, Chuju and I are in the kitchen preparing the usual ingredients. The downstairs cellar helps keep everything cool, and we bring most things up for prep. Although the secret to our recipe of having snow-like tea is a simple ice spell I've managed to learn. In warmer seasons, I crave the cold texture and dedicated myself to perfect the novice spell. Chuju learned as well. She was dumbfounded when I was able to quickly learn. Of course, not to brag but I used to be one of the most elite cultivators of Jianghu.

"Young Miss, was it really wise to ban the followers of Bleak Night?" Chuju rubs her hands together anxiously.

The incident happened a couple of days ago, and there has been no return of the six hooligans. Our customers applaud our boldness but was wary of our public ban. Apparently Bleak Night followers were known to cause trouble in the city without much discipline from their Sect Leader.

I'm not surprised by that demon's lack of moral conduct.

I reply with affirmation, "Maybe not, but someone has to teach them a lesson. If that demon won't do it, I will."

The busy day starts out wonderfully with chipper guests. I sit behind the counter counting my money.

I am really becoming my grandma!

Talking to myself, I sigh, "I miss her. I should burn her some ghost money later."

The day went by and the setting sun drew beautiful warm shades in strokes on the sky.

At this certain time, the tea house customers are trickling out. We do open late and would sometimes have groups of customers chatting and enjoying the cool breeze. However, most days are never the same.

Wiping a table, I hear someone step through the opened door.

"What is this about not serving anyone from Bleak Night?"

The voice induces a weird muscle spasm in my ears. Before I knew it, the smell of overwhelming familiarity infiltrates the surrounding room.

My eyes meet his, and I don't recognize the dark blue seas reflecting back. His straight posture with hands behind his back shook me until I could feel my knees weakening.

"What of it?" I argue. Surprisingly, I'm not afraid to stand my ground.

Damn it! So much for avoiding Bleak Night... acting out like that against the followers brought their irritating leader right to my door.

A face I used to know that now no longer knows me. That fact is helping me keep it altogether.

He takes a step closer, observing my face with great interest. I lean back to avoid his staring.

"You look familiar," He announces.

My eyes widen.

There's no way he knows it's me, right?!

Moving away, I say, "I don't know you. Never seen you before."

"Are you not that politician's daughter who was meant to marry that old man Scholar?" He questioned.

"What?! No-- No way!"

How did he know? And he really recognizes me from just that one meeting?!

His cold breath whispers, "Then do you know who I am?"

Looking him up and down, I falsely confess, "Don't know. You gonna have tea or not?"

Staggering, he cannot answer. He is shocked that I don't care to know who or what he is within Yeguang City. To me, he is no better than the lowlife followers of his sect.