xxiii. kiss of death

GLENN WRAPPED HIS hand tightly around Ellie's hand, and dragged her in the direction of the RV, where Andrea had been sitting on watch, although she hadn't appeared to be doing much, other than sunbathe

GLENN WRAPPED HIS hand tightly around Ellie's hand, and dragged her in the direction of the RV, where Andrea had been sitting on watch, although she hadn't appeared to be doing much, other than sunbathe. She continued to call out to the group, alerting them of the walker that had suddenly entered the farmlands. An influx of concerned group members crowded around the RV, and all motioned for Andrea to lower herself down from the RV in concern that she might hurt somebody around her.

"I bet I can nail it from here," Andrea boldly stated, whilst grabbing her sniper rifle with determination.  She lifted it up in the air and began to raise it, aiming the sights down at the walker.

"No, no! Put the gun down, Hershel said he doesn't want any guns on his property!" Rick ordered as he motioned for Andrea to lower her gun.

"You best let us handle this," Shane ordered Andrea through gritted teeth as he began to pace towards the walker, only to be stopped by Rick.

"Woah, Hershel said he wanted to handle the walkers," Rick warned him as he walked briskly next to him.

"Nah, we got it covered," Shane stated nonchalantly, making his way down with T-Dog, cocking a shotgun as he paced towards the walker.

Ellie quickly pushed past Rick as he attempted to pull her back from joining them, only for her to shoot him a glare and rip her arm from his hold. She caught up with the group, and listened out to their gasps as they stopped before the walker. Ellie groaned as she pushed her way through the tiny crowd, and felt the breath hitch in her throat as her eyes locked onto the walker. Only, it hadn't been a walker —it was Daryl Dixon, himself.

His bloodied face stared back at the group, his eyes reddened and blood shot. His face was barely recognisable, but Ellie recognised his piercingly blue eyes that met hers, and felt her entire heart within her begin to tremble with the idea of Daryl being the walker. She couldn't quite believe it, and refused to accept that he stood before her as a walker and not himself.

Everything around her had stopped, as though someone had placed the world on pause and the events unfolding before her were frozen in time. She could hear her shallow breath in her head; she could hear the sound of her heart breaking behind the cages of her ribs; she could feel the intense heartache pumping against her chest; she could feel the burning pain searing up from her stomach up into her throat at the sight of Daryl as a rotting corpse.

Hot tears built up in her eyes as she stumbled forward, watching the walker as it stood before her, letting out a small, "No, no—" Ellie leaped forward in attempt to grab a hold of Daryl, only to be pulled back by Shane and Rick, "Daryl!"

Shane pulled Ellie into a tight embrace as her loud screams echoed throughout the farmland, her voice loud and laced with pain as Daryl's zombified body stumbled near her. Shane whispered, "Don't look," as he gripped onto the woman in attempt to console her, but she fought against his grip.