•03

Laconic
(adj.)

Expressing much in few words.

Dragging her feet against the pavement,Kristin struggled to contain her sneezes and occasional sniffles.She had unfortunately caught the cold after having to walk back to her apartment in the rain,without an umbrella.It wasn't a bad case of the cold,but it was enough to keep her up at night and drain whatever energy she had left in morning.

Despite this,she still trudged her way to work,feeling absolutely miserable and wanting nothing more than to curl up in bed.

Entering the cafe,she ignored the judgmental stare she earned from Steve and slowly made her way behind the counter.

"You look like shit,"Steve scoffed,approaching her.

"You think so?I was trying to look like you today,"she retorted.

Steve chuckled,shaking his head,"You wound me Kristin."

She smiled slightly,putting on her apron.Though it may seem like Steve and Kristin hated each other,secretly they had each other backs.After working at the cafe for years,she'd come to enjoy his company and matching his snarky comments.

The day went by slowly,unfortunately for Kristin.There weren't much customers which was good,but throughout the day her cold had gotten worse.Now,she was not only sneezing but she was struggling to hold in her coughs so she wouldn't contaminate anything.

She glanced at the clock and mentally cheered when she realized she only had thirty minutes till her shift was over.

"One large black coffee,"a voice said startling Kristin.

Turning her attention toward the front of her she realized it was the god-like boy.Making eye contact,her cheeks felt hot and she nervously ran her fingers through her hair but failed as she had too much knot in her hair so it ended up looking like she was patting her head.

Clearing her throat,she quickly hurried to make his coffee,wondering who the hell drinks black coffee alone.

"That will be $3.Can I get you anything else?"she squeaked out,handing him his coffee.

"No,"the boy grunted as he handed her the money.

Taking the money from him,Kristin noticed his hands were stained with paint.She frowned.He's an artist?Or is he just painting over his house?

"Are you an artist?"she asked without hesitation.

The boy looked at her with dull eyes and a frown etched on his face.He looked like he was contemplating if he should be honest or just walk away.Fortunately for Kristin,he opened his mouth and said

"I am."

Before turning and walking away.She watched as he walked out the door,wondering what his art looked like.She knew it was none of her business,but she couldn't help but be fascinated by him.She couldn't exactly put her finger on why she was so interested in him and to be honest,she didn't want to find out.

-
A short chapter from a short girl haha!I've been gone because of writers block but I'm back and still lost on what to write:(Maybe the next chapter will be better!