Chapter 8: JJ

July|19th

"Mom, seriously, I look ridiculous!"

"Oh stop your whining! If your gonna go out, your gonna look respectful. And your gonna like it." Marcy began readjusting his tie for the third time. "First impressions are everything."

JJ sighed, his only choice being to accept his fate.

Today he was starting his summer internship at his moms work because for some reason she had it in her mind that he would go into medicine when all he'd ever enjoyed was code.

Though he reminded his mom of this time and time again, all she would say is-

"I know your not excited about it but I need you to try. Its always good to have options. If you do ever decide to go into medicine, you'll know what your getting into." Her hands slowed, her lips frowning a little. "Please, honey."

The guilt trip? Really?

JJ grabbed his mothers hands reassuringly. "I already told you I would mom." She teared up, mouthing an 'Okay..'

JJ yawned, attempting a stretch but his hands were slapped down, his mom still working on him.

"Can I go back to bed?" He wined. She shook her head, finishing and walking out.

"Breakfast will be ready in 10 minutes, we leave in 15."

"But how are we gonna-

"We'll eat on the road now hurry your tush!"

Aaaaghh..

JJ stepped up to his tall mirror. He ran his hands over his stomach, flattening down the wrinkles.

His fingers lightly trailed the impressions his ribs left on his skin.

He was constantly told he was too skinny. By Doctors and therapists and family. He could tell by the way his goddamn anatomy was visible just by looking at him. He knew he needed to gain weight. He got it but..he couldnt risk going back to what he was.

Ever again.

After all his work..all this time and he still found something to worry about. Why couldn't he just be okay with his body?

His hands dropped and he sighed. He had a long day ahead of him, he shouldn't be thinking about this.

He caught a figure out the corner of his eye. Well son of a-

Karie gave him a look from the window he was so used to seeing Noah in. The man look concerned. JJ just shook his head in response before walking out the door.

They didn't need to get into this again. There was nothing to see.

He spent his entire morning hanging with his mother's nurse friends, learning to take calls and watching the doctors from a distance. His mother busy with patience.

He was left all alone at the nurses station to take care of things as they went on break. He suggested it as a joke and they agreed. 'Absolutely 17 year old child, good luck not killing someone!'

The logic, I swear..

He was busy double checking a bunch of call logs some doctor kept badgering him about.

You wont kill someone, you wont kill someone-

"JJ?"

He looked up. Max stood there, leaning against the desk. He smiled, black bomber on, hood over his tucked back hair.

JJ realized he'd been staring when Max began waving for his attention. "Uh..yeah, hey. Max, right? From..-

"Hah, yeah. That was kinda crazy, huh?" He smiled coolly. JJ averted his eyes.

"What are you doing here? You a nurse now or more of a Candy striper?" That earned the man a chuckle.

"Both I guess. I mean, only for the next couple of hours but...if the apron fits."

He was thankful Max laughed cause he was goddamn horrified.

JJ began tapping papers with his pen, licking his braces nervously.

"Sorry. That was..weird. Weird thing to say. That didn't make you uncomfortable did it? I didn't mean-

"No, no, of course not. It was funny. Charming, even. And I bet you'd look good in an apron."

JJ's jaw dropped.

Max blinked as he processed his words.

They each shared a look.

"Uh..I guess that was weird too." Max smiled, laughing a little. " Did..that make you uncomfortable?"

"No. It was funny." JJ mocked him. Max's grin grew. "Some might say charming."

"Come ooon. Cant blame a guy for slipping. I mean..just look at the material." He joked awkwardly, gesturing JJ's direction. He gagged once more.

What in the world was happening?!

A lady near the entrance began calling to the guy as she rushed over. Max's eyes met his again, his finger pressing to his lips, telling him to 'keep quite'. JJ lowered his clipboard to his lap at the sight.

THIS MAN IS FRUITY! WHAT-

"Hola, sorry. Parking took forever. Ready for your appointment?"

"Mom-

"Your appointment?" JJ repeated. Max stared for a second before nodding.

They all stood there awkwardly.

"Are you gonna.."

"Oh! Yeah, right."

Your job dummy.

"Name? Maximiliano Ceza Alejandro. And your here to see Dr. Marzio. The..the Oncologist?"

.."Yeah." See, there he goes. Gagged once again. Max was the actual definition of 'It's complicated'.

..he needed to see an oncologist?

"Um, your appointments in room 301, which is right around the corner at the end of the hall."

"Gracias, carino." Max's mother tapped his shoulder, gesturing to be followed. He told her he would be a minute, watching as she turned a corner.

"I know this might seem random but can we talk later? In the cafeteria. 1:00, maybe?"

JJ took a second to rap his head around what he had just said, but when he did, he replied, "Yeah, okay."

Max smiled. "Okay, brunch it is." And just like that he was gone.

It was half an hour later, the nurses having taken over once more. JJ was slumped back in his chair, twiddling his thumbs.

He was counting down the minutes at this point. And all he could think about was the fact that he was having brunch with Max. Also he hated that damn word. Like..just say lunch? Its the afternoon, be real.

The flirting.

The secret.

The oncologist.

...this man is a goddamn mystery.