Chapter 20

"So, where you you want this picture frame hung?" I hold up the picture with my finger, and look over at Luca, who is obsessing a little too much at the tiniest details for his baby's nursery.

"Above the lamp. Wait no, not there. Put it to the side where all the other pictures are." He directs my hand and where the picture should go.

"No not that side, the other side. Yeah, right there is perfect."

I hung up the frame, and took a step back. It did look like it was a great spot for a frame.

"How about we take a break? We've been at this for five hours." I suggest.

Luca adjusts stuffed animals on the diaper table before stopping. "I guess that's a good idea."

I chuckle. "We can surprise our mates with food. I know they're out reviewing training today."

Luca nods in agreement and we step out of the nursery and travel to the kitchen. I go to the pantry and he goes to the fridge.

Luca is such a great guy. Easily my best friend here, no offense to Malik. I mean, he's great, but just a little wild for me to handle.

"I found lemonade?" Luca takes out a pitcher full of the sweet drink. I grab a box of saltine crackers and hold it up.

"Crackers and lemonade?" I ask carefully.

Luca laughs. "The mom snacks are already happening, and my baby isn't even here yet."

I snort in amusement and pull out some small plates and cups. We put the crackers on the plates and pour the lemonade. I grab a set and so does Luca before we head out into the backyard.

"We can advance the 6 year old training. They seem bored. And more defense classes for the 13 year olds. They're new teenagers and they get cocky with fighting. That's not our focus right now." Moretti quietly says his plans to Malik, who's keeping track of his changes on an iPad.

"Hey babe, want a snack?" Luca announces our presence, and they both look over. Stress leaves their faces as they see us and the food.

"That's be great, actually." Malik speed walks over to us and greets Luca with a kiss.

I just walk over to Moretti and set his food down on a table that's near him. As soon as I do so, he wraps his arm around my waist and pulls my small body into his much larger one.

"Thank you." He kisses the top of my head in appreciation, and I feel my face heat up.

Head kisses will never get old.

"Are you hungry as well?" He asks, concerned.

"I might or might not steal a few crackers." I smile innocently.

He rolls his eyes and let's go of me waist so I can steal a chair from the table. He sits across from me, and we begin to eat and discuss his changes and improvements to training.

———

It's about twenty minutes later, when things go horribly wrong.

I narrow my eyes as I smell something strange. A scent.

Vessel is pacing around in my head, and Moretti suddenly looks very alert.

My eyes snap over to the edge of the forest where I heard rustling. I wasn't going crazy though with seeing things.

Elizabeth stepped out and onto our territory, looking really angry. Like, a damn scary angry that made me want to go hide. But like hell was I gonna do that.