~27~

"Alba

"Alba ... I have some questions for you."

Alba looked up from her bloody hands clearly beside herself before meeting the impassive gaze of the inspector. She just couldn't put together a single idea with the images of Marina's lifeless body pestering her mind again and again.

Even the mere sight of Polo before joining the gym had left her mind at this stage. All she could think of was Marina's body.

Cold, bloody, pale and motionless.

"She's dead. She's really dead." Alba stammered in panic as she nervously drummed her heel under the table.

They had taken all her clothes. Even her heels. And now she was wearing a simple gray and blue tracksuit. Her hair was still wet from the shower that they had ordered her to take and her nails almost flawless.

With the exception of blood residues still stuck under her nails. The simple sight was enough to make her see again her hands completely stained with blood.

It was already the second phase of interrogation she had undergone since they had boarded her. She had first been listened to when she was still covered with Marina's blood.

She was in a second state as she let the tears run down her chapped lips before meeting the inspector's gaze again in a pleading tone."I didn't kill her. I didn't ... it wasn't me."

"What were you doing in the pool?" The inspector asked, trying to manage her mini nervous breakdown."Alba, answer me. I want to believe you but you must help me solve the murder of your friend."

Alba looked suddenly impassive at the inspector as she shook her head."Marina and I were not friends. More for a long time."

"I see." She agreed, writing the coherence of her remarks between the first interrogation and now."But you still went after her. That had to count for something."

"I wanted to help her." Alba acquiesced, sniffing before using her hand to wipe away the tears running down her cheeks."I just wanted to help her."

"You wanted to help her." Repeated the inspector with a sigh, narrowing her lips before taking a break and giving her a confused look." I don't understand. Why return there the second time? Samuel had already tried to talk to her. You told us she was stubborn."

Alba suddenly raised her eyes in the memory of the woman before opening her mouth a first time just to close it immediately. She swallowed, lowering her eyes on her hands just to start nervously picking her cuticles with her nails.

A gesture that soon challenged the inspector as she suddenly put her hand on hers to get her attention."Alba ... if you've seen anything, it's time to tell us. "

"Polo." She finally whispered between her trembling lips before leaning her head visibly still in shock."I think ... I saw Polo. He was looking for Carla. But he was weird."