[ CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX ]

1492, England

A week had passed since the grand event, and it seemed Katerina would be staying longer than she had originally bargained for. Over the time they had spent together, Astrid couldn't deny she had become fond of the doppelgänger, and it seemed she wasn't the only one.

Though he hadn't admitted, it was no secret Elijah was smitten with Katerina, just as he had once been with Tatia. 

However, Astrid had soon discovered vast differences between the women, whilst Tatia had been calculating and cunning, Katerina was sweet and warm.

Astrid could only pray Katerina's fate would be nothing like Tatia's. Drained of blood and used for two deadly spells, not even Tatia had deserved such a cruel fate.

Having been moved from her small guest chambers into a larger, more luxurious chambers, Astrid was relieved Niklaus was being nothing but welcoming towards Katerina.

Although not all of them were as keen on the brunette as Elijah and herself, Rebekah didn't hide her distaste for the brunette, sneering whenever she caught sight of her. 

Rebekah had even gone as far as making petty comments to embarrass Katerina in front of Astrid, from her foreign heritage to her poor upbringing.

Astrid found the whole situation childish; Rebekah was incredibly jealous. The blonde had always been oddly possessive over their friendship, but Astrid had never seen Rebekah go as far as she was with Katerina. 

Perhaps jealousy was a reoccurring trait in the Mikaelson bloodline.

The blonde original had never acted liked this around the friends she had made over the years, such as Aubrianne and Rose. Perhaps it was her dislike for Tatia clouding Rebekah's judgement.

Astrid just wished Rebekah would give the brunette a chance.

Walking arm in arm, giggling, Astrid beamed as Katerina's cheeks flushed a healthy pink as Astrid brought the subject of Elijah up. "I believe Elijah is smitten with you, Kat." Astrid teased as Katerina tried to hide her joy.

As they continued to stroll around the gardens, neither of them noticed Rebekah marching back towards the manner, scowling.

It was no secret Katerina returned the feelings for Elijah. "He's a very kind and handsome man." Katerina blushed.

Before Astrid could string together a reply, she noticed a head of dirty-blonde curls approaching them. Recognizing her husband immediately, Astrid smiled brightly.

As he stopped by her side, not even turning his attention to Katerina, Klaus allowed Astrid to warmly greet him, pressing a kiss to his cheek. "My love, I thought you were- "