Chapter Nine

"Are you okay?" He mouthed over the loud crowd. She wanted to say she was fine and push him away. She wanted to inform him that she was supposed to be shielding him, not the other way around. But she only managed to get out a quiet yes, too unnerved by their proximity as the students stormed by. In that instant, she had nothing to do other than stare into the prince's deep eyes. Why were they so blue? So entrancingly blue.

She chose to stare past his shoulder to get a peek at the students rushing past. They were all primly dressed in the Legacy school uniforms. Blue dress shirts, and darker blue pants or skirts, were overlaid with purple vests or corsets—depending on the student's gender or preference. Naomi also noticed there wasn't one unattractive person in the whole bunch. No messy, windswept hair or crooked teeth. These children had been polished to physical perfection by their wealthy parents.

After what felt like an eternity, the second bell rang, signaling the end of the rush. Malcolm pulled away from her. While he'd been covering her, Figgis and Sam had dutifully guarded their prince against the hallway mayhem. Naomi wondered if they behaved this way on every school day with Malcolm.

Figgis triumphantly cleared his throat. "See?" he said. "That's why I hover."

Malcolm rolled his eyes, and Naomi wanted to laugh. He and Figgis must act like this on a regular basis. She wondered if she'd end up developing the same dedication. With how things were going currently, probably not.

"You still look nervous," Malcolm said.

Naomi straightened her clothes and stuck out her chin.

"Only because of what happened. I'm fine. You can take me to the dean's office, and—"

"Not yet. I want to show you something else first."

"What is it?"

"Something that might make you hate this whole situation a little less."

Without any further explanation, Malcolm headed down a different hall, leading them away from their previous direction. Naomi hesitated, but eventually ended up following along with Sam and Figgis. Although she didn't want to obey, this was her new job. She also didn't want to get lost on the enormous campus.

They passed by multiple classrooms. Peeking through the windows, Naomi caught glimpses of students doing a variety of tasks. Some teachers were going about their lectures, while in larger classrooms the lessons were more hands-on. Students practiced their magic in various forms. Mages utilized their elements to concoct potions and charms. Elves experimented with building their shields or telekinetically tying large vines together into immense towers. Griffon shifters worked on transforming different parts of their bodies into their animal counterparts, while kitsune shifters lit up their paws and tails with flickering fire. The imagery was intoxicating. Talented pupils, learning and exploring, connecting with their inner magic.

Naomi felt a strange tug inside that she couldn't explain. Longing, envy perhaps? She'd never had the chance to do any of this, to challenge herself magically or intellectually like these students were doing.

Naomi noticed that Malcolm was walking backward so he could take in her expression. He was showing her that not everything had to be torture here. That she might like it. Well, the school at least.

Malcolm made a right turn through a stone archway and brought Naomi out onto the lush, green grass of the school courtyard. Glorious flowers were sprinkled across a vast, tree-lined quad. Everywhere she looked, students lounged on the grass, talked in groups, and studied under the trees or on long benches.

"What do you think?" Malcolm asked, a light teasing lilt in his voice.

"It's pretty." Naomi tried to sound neutral. Secretly, she had to admit a thrill went through her.