Chapter 14: Snow

"Come on, Mom, why not?" I groan as I stand in the kitchen while she cooks dinner.

"Because I don't think that you've shown me that you're responsible enough for another dog, that's why."

She doesn't even turn around to look at me, as if her mind is made up already.

I let out a groan. "I'm not a little kid anymore, Mom, and I really want this dog."

"Why? Give me one good reason why I should get you a dog, and I'll let you get one."

"I want it because Gracie wants it, and I want to do something nice for her. She comes over everyday at five, and she probably wakes up way before that. She's always doing things for me, and now I want to do something for her. I want to be a good friend."

Mom freezes and turns around to face me. "You're already a good friend, Cass. You don't have anything to prove."

Yes, I do.

Everybody else may not see it, but I do.

"I want to do this for her."

Mom stares at me. "You're going to feed this dog, right?" I nod in response. "And walk him and play with him and bathe him?"

I nod all throughout her question.

She considers it. "I'll talk to your father."

Dad's staying late with a client, but he should be home soon.

But I know it doesn't matter what my dad says; the decision is ultimately up to my mom.

You can probably already tell who wears the pants in their relationship.

I turn to walk up to my room, and I'm halfway up the stairs before I turn back around and walk towards the kitchen.

"Mom?"

"Yes, sweetie?"

"I love you."

"I love you too."

---------

Gracie squeals into my ear through the phone, causing me to flinch a little.

"She said yes? She actually said yes?"

"Yes, Gracie, for the fifth time, she said yes."

Another squeal pierces my ears.

"Gracie, do you want to come over so we can talk about this in person?"

Maybe I can prevent my ears from bleeding if she's physically next to me.

"Oh my gosh, yes. But remember we have school tomorrow, so I can't stay over, okay?"

Normally, I would've pushed the issue and she would've stopped talking to me until lunch the next day, but I'm trying to be better, so I agree.

"Okay."

"I'm serious, Cass. I can't stay."

I pull my phone away from my face to shoot it a confused look before I speak into it again. "I said okay, Gracie."

"This is the last time I'm going to tell you, Cass. I. Can't. Stay."

"Okay, Gracie!" I shout. "Jeez, you don't have to stay the night if you don't want to."

"Really?" Her voice is filled to the brim with disbelief. "You're not going to push it?"

"No?" I say. "I mean, you obviously don't want to stay over for the night, and I don't want to force you to."