Chapter Forty

As Quinn pulled away, it took Naomi a second to catch up. To reopen her eyes and regain her breath. When she did, he was smiling down at her.

"Sorry. I know this isn't the most romantic place for a first kiss, but seeing the girl you like on her deathbed does things to a guy."

"You're wrong. I'm not dying. With you, I've never felt more alive."

This was true. With Quinn, Naomi was always free. And yet, there was one thing holding her back.

"I need to know, Quinn," Naomi confessed.

"Know what?"

"The truth. The one you've been hiding. If I do die tomorrow, I want it to be with me knowing who I fell for too."

"What are you talking about?" He frowned.

"I'm talking about why everyone warns me away from you. Why Malcolm hates your guts. Tell me what everyone else already seems to know."

"You're right." Quinn ran a hand through his hair. "Should I just jump right into it then?"

At Naomi's nod, he continued hesitantly.

"A couple of years ago, back when I was a freshman, I started...hanging out with the wrong crowd. They didn't seem too bad when I first met them. But then I got to know them further, saw them stealing and fighting with other 'gangs,' if that's what you want to call them. A part of me knew I shouldn't stick around, but at the time, my parents were going through a divorce. I felt angry, alone...That's no justification, looking back on it now.

"Anyway, things got out of hand. Back then, I was still technically friends with Malcolm. We'd grown up together and used to be pretty close. I'd started pulling away once I met this new set of friends, and it worried him. Eventually, my new buddies found out I was cozy with the prince, and they...they kidnapped him. Held him for ransom.

"It ended badly. The king's guards were able to save him when I failed to. In the process, one of them damaged his hand."

"Figgis..." Naomi interjected as this part of the puzzle fell into place.

"Yeah, Figgis. King Drewell has been super-protective of Malcolm ever since. He was furious with me. I think I was only spared because Malcolm defended me with the little bit of fondness he had left toward me. After all that, I broke away from that crowd, but since then—with King Drewell's influence—I've been blacklisted. Everyone saw me as that bad kid, and no one gave me a chance again. Until you."

Naomi leaned back on her pillows, using them as support—something to rest against while she took in this information. The whole story was wild, unbelievable. But at the same time, she now understood Quinn—who he was and what he'd been through. The history between him and Malcolm. Everything clicked into place, and she knew it would be wrong to hold Quinn's past against him.

"Thank you for being honest with me. I feel like I understand you, everything, better now," she said, taking his hand. He squeezed it in return.

"Then, this doesn't change anything. We could still go out sometime?"

"I want to..."

"But?" Quinn sighed.

"There's too much going on. And what you told me is a lot to take in. It doesn't mean my feelings have changed, but...I need time, okay? There's still this stupid competition, and for all I know, Malcolm and I will both be dead tomorrow."

"No way. You're too fearless to die." Quinn kissed her hand. Then, he eyed her knowingly. "Now it's your turn."

"What do you mean?"