Chapter Forty-Three

"What do you mean?" Naomi asked, blindsided by Malcolm's words.

"He owed them money and staged the whole thing in the hopes that my father would pay. Thankfully, it backfired on his ass."

Naomi's heart dropped.

"Quinn wouldn't do that. You're lying just because you hate him."

"You want to know WHY I hate him, Naomi?" Malcolm's face was such a startling shade of red, Naomi didn't answer. She didn't need to as Malcolm picked up with his tirade.

"He ruined my life! Before I was kidnapped, my dad looked at me like I was the whole world. He believed in me. That I could do good in the world. He was even going to let me be an aide."

"An aide?"

"Ever since I was a kid, the work I was most excited to do as a future king was disaster relief. Going to areas of Tyrra that have undergone trauma, truly helping people. Making an actual difference instead of sitting on a stiff throne in stuffy council meetings. My dad agreed and I was all set to go on my first aide trip that summer when...well, after Quinn, it all changed. The way my father looked at me changed."

Naomi didn't want to trust his words but it all made sense. It explained why Malcolm was always surrounded by guards and why his dad never let him fight. As Malcolm finished confessing all this, his eyes grew glassy.

"How can I ever forgive him for that?" he asked her, his tone heartbreaking. Or maybe, it was just the sound of Naomi's own heart crumbling inside her chest.

"Maybe you can forgive him, but I know who Quinn Hunter really is. One day you will too." Malcolm got up to walk away but paused at Naomi's stricken face.

"Just...go, Malcolm," Naomi said bitterly, so he wouldn't wound her further.

He did, heading to his room. Naomi couldn't do the same. She couldn't pretend she hadn't heard all of that. That it hadn't shaken her up and made her second-guess everything. If Malcolm spoke the truth, Quinn truly had ruined his life, destroyed his dreams. Not only that, but Quinn had also lied to Naomi. And worst of all, his kind heart seemed more sinister than she'd originally imagined.

Her mind a cloud of confusion, Naomi went to the one place she'd find comfort and time to think. 

Her magnolia tree.

She found Quinn sitting underneath it, absorbed in a book.

"Hey," he said, grinning up at her. She didn't return it.

"What are you doing here?" he asked. He reached out to pull her into a hug but Naomi moved away.

"You lied to me."

"What?"

"About your past. You lied."

Quinn glared down at his feet.

"Been talking to Malcolm, have you?"

"Yes. He helped me see a whole different side of you."

"Look. Whatever he told you is his version or idea of what happened. It doesn't make it true."

"But somewhere between both your stories, between both your versions, lies the truth. And somewhere in that truth...Quinn, did you owe those guys money? Did you use Malcolm to...?" Naomi couldn't bear to finish and say it out loud. Because then he'd have to answer, and she'd know the truth for real.

"I didn't. I'm not..." Quinn fumbled.

This time, when he went to hold onto her, she let him. Wanting to feel his closeness even though it was killing her. It was killing her to know he wasn't the man she thought he was, but he looked at her desperately, begging.