Chapter Forty-Eight

Luckily for Naomi—and everyone else—the "helpless" prince recovered quickly, given the circumstances. Within days, he was out of bed and fit enough to resume his daily activities. However, a return to normalcy wouldn't be that easy. In the king's eyes, his son's good health meant it was time for a celebration—one he decided to throw in Legacy's grand ballroom.

Looking around, Naomi took in the crowd. Everyone from school must have been present. Both teachers and students milled about, chattering with excitement. Even Naomi's father had been invited. He joyfully sat beside her, drinking cider and chatting with Lark.

The room had been festively decorated in the royal colors, and the event was catered by the castle's own serving staff. The whole thing felt a bit lavish, but Naomi expected nothing less from King Drewell. The man himself stood at the front of the room with Malcolm and Queen Fiona, ready to make one of his beloved speeches. A loyal courtier helped him silence the crowd by playing a commanding trumpet. When he finally gathered everyone's attention, he went into his kingly mode.

"Good afternoon, everyone. It's an honor to be with you today. I'm happy to be here, not just to celebrate my son's recovery but also the greatness of Legacy. While the current times have been challenging, you have all stood together as a community and supported my son..."

King Drewell went on, but Naomi chose to ignore the drone. She'd heard him make pronouncements she could recite in her sleep. As her eyes glazed over, Naomi felt a firm pinch on her arm. It was Lark, giving her an urgent glance.

"Ow, Lark. What is wrong with...?" Naomi stopped whining as she realized what the painful signal had meant. The king—and everyone else in the room—was looking at her expectantly.

"Naomi, please step forward." King Drewell motioned her toward him.

Gradually, Naomi made her way up front, putting on a tense smile. When she reached him, the king put a friendly arm around her shoulders.

"If it wasn't for Naomi's part, things might not have turned out as fortunately as they did. As such, I want to formally thank her for her bravery and resilience."

Naomi's jaw dropped as Queen Fiona stepped forward and held up a velvet case. Lying within it was a golden medallion with the kingdom's crest. It was a Fidelity Emblem, one of the highest honors a guard could receive. It would also serve a guard in battle since it held protective charms against injuries.

"King Drewell, I don't deserve this." While Naomi said this, she still reached for it. Holding it gingerly in her hands.

"Yes, you do. Besides, it'll look great next to your standard guard badge." He winked at her.

Choosing not to correct him in fear that she would be stuck with a badge, Naomi humbly thanked him and went back to her seat. Her father and Lark crowded around her, wanting to see the award up close.

"I'm proud of you, honey." Naomi's father kissed her cheek as Lark admired the medallion's shine.

Before they could get too caught up in her reward, Dean Wellington took the king's place at the head of the room. Naomi held back a groan. Seriously, Dean Wellington and King Drewell should both have a limit on how many lectures they were allowed to give. A two-per-month maximum would be ideal. Nevertheless, on she went. Good to be here, thanking the king, blah, blah, blah. But then...

"I would also like to clarify the results of the Summit Trials. Seeing as our other participants encountered...difficulties, the senior team has been the only one to come through successfully. Thus, Oliver and Olivia Rockwell will be our school representatives for the World Summit."

Among a smattering of applause, the two twins stepped up, looking terribly enthusiastic. It didn't seem to bother them that they'd won only by default. Hell, Naomi was happy for them. People who truly wanted to go—and weren't evil incarnate—were getting the chance.