Epilogue

In spite of Naomi's life-changing secret, everything else began to return to normal. Classes resumed after the chaos settled down. Malcolm was up and about, vigorous and bossy. Quinn was up and about, being tempting and charming. Naomi was...Naomi. Still a guard. Still a dragon shifter. Still the descendant of a diabolical dictator.

She chose not to brood over this as she talked to her dad on her ringer.

"Are people still trying to murder you, honey?" her father asked, fretful concern coursing through his voice.

Naomi suppressed a sigh.

The harrowing events of Malcolm's assassination attempt (and rescue) may have subsided, but her father's anxiety over her welfare was at an all-time high.

"No, Papa. Like I told you, everything is better now. You saw me a while ago. I was alive and well then. I am now too."

"I get to worry. I'm your father."

"I appreciate it, and I'll be home this weekend."

"Yes, that's great. But what about these elite people? Have you heard anything?"

"No, not yet, but we're being careful. King Drewell said we'll need to be ready, come what may." Naomi repeated what the king had said.

"Keep being careful. I—"

"Naomi!" Malcolm's persistent voice called from across the courtyard. Glancing over from her tree, Naomi saw him standing several feet away with Figgis.

"It's time to go eat. I'm not going to miss our lunch break because of you." He tapped his watch.

Naomi glared in response, regretting that she was filling in for Sam this period. She covered the speaking port on the ringer, so her father couldn't hear her yell back.

"I suggest you watch your tone, Your Highness," Naomi threw at him, then returned to her father.

"I got to go. Bye, Papa. Love you."

Naomi hung up and joined Malcolm and Figgis on the walk to the cafeteria. Malcolm huffed the whole way there, muttering about her tardiness. Naomi simply rolled her eyes.

She'd ultimately resigned herself that fighting against The Elitists meant she would be stuck with him. Fighting against her family's dark past would be even harder. But she'd survive. After all, Naomi was the last dragon shifter. She'd already fought extinction. A tyrannical teenage boy and a little warfare should be nothing, right?

So Naomi made a promise as she walked beside "her prince."

Come what may, I'll be ready.

I'll be here.

*** That's it! The End of The Last Dragon Shifter. I want to thank you guys SO MUCH for reading this story. As I mentioned in the dedication, this book, full of black girl magic, really means a lot to me. I hope it has meant something to you too. 

If you are interested in seeing more from Naomi and the gang, this is a series I plan on continuing. However, some other projects are currently taking precedence. I did promise y'all I would be working on The Bottom Line after all!

However, you can choose to follow me or check in periodically, for updates on my work.

Again, much love to you guys! 

 ❣