29. Peter Pettigrew

Y/N's POV

"I found this at the base of the Whomping Willow," said Snape, throwing the cloak aside, careful to keep this wand pointing directly at Lupin's chest, "very useful, Potter, I thank you."

Snape was slightly breathless, but his face was full of suppressed triumph. "You're wondering, perhaps, how I knew you were here?" he said, his eyes glittering. "I've just been to your office, Lupin. You forgot to take your Potion tonight, so I took a gobletful along. And very lucky I did, lucky for me, I mean. Lying on your desk was a certain map. One glance at it told me all I needed to know. I saw you running along this passageway and out of sight."

"Severus-" Lupin began, but Snape overrode him.

"I've told the Headmaster again and again that you're helping your old friend Black into the castle, Lupin, and here's the proof. Not even I dreamed you would have the nerve to use this old place as your hideout-"

"Severus, you're making a mistake," said Lupin urgently, "you haven't heard everything. I can explain, Sirius is not here to kill them."

"Two more for Azkaban tonight," said Snape, "I shall be interested to see how Dumbledore takes this. He was quite convinced you were harmless, you know, Lupin, a tame werewolf-"

"You fool," said Lupin softly, "is a schoolboy grudge worth putting an innocent man back inside Azkaban?"

BANG! Snape had tied up both Lupin and Black with one swish of his wand.

"Give me a reason," he whispered, "give me a reason to do it, and I swear I will."

Black stopped dead.

I stood there, paralysed, not knowing what to do or whom to believe. He glanced around at the others. Hermione took an uncertain step toward Snape and said, in a very timid voice. "Professor Snape, it wouldn't hurt to hear what they've got to say, w-would it?"

"Miss Granger, you are already facing suspension from this school," Snape spat, "you, L/N, Potter, and Weasley are out-of-bounds, in the company of a convicted murderer and a werewolf. For once in your life, hold your tongue."

"But if-if there was a mistake-"

"KEEP QUIET, YOU STUPID GIRL!" Snape shouted. "DON'T TALK ABOUT WHAT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!"

"SHUT UP! DON'T SPEAK TO HER LIKE THAT!" I yelled at the Professor. "YOU'RE PUTTING TWO INNOCENT MEN BECAUSE THEY MADE YOU LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT, YOU WON'T EVEN SEE IF THEY'RE INNOCENT!"

Snape glared at me with a look of hatred. "Defending your father are you..."

I went pale, I glanced over at Sirius who had a very uncomfortable expression.

Without thinking, I approached Snape and pointed my wand at him.

"Expelliarmus!" I yelled. There was a blast that made the door rattle on its hinges, Snape was lifted off his feet and slammed into the wall, then slid down it to the floor, a trickle of blood oozing from under his hair. He had been knocked out.

"You shouldn't have done that," said Black, looking at me.

I avoided Black's eyes.

"We attacked a teacher..." Hermione whimpered, staring at the lifeless Snape with frightened eyes. "Oh, we're going to be in so much trouble-"

Lupin was struggling against his bonds. I untied them with my wand.

"Thank you, Y/N," Lupin said.

"I'm still not saying I believe you," I told Lupin.

"Then it's time we offered you some proof," said Lupin, "you, boy, give me Peter, please. Now."