in which 1975 goes by in a blur

Author's Note: Full disclosure, songwriting/poetry is not my forte so I'm just taking more modern songs for songs that The Beatles/other artists are meant to be "writing" and we're gonna pretend like these aren't songs that have been released in the past ten years (there are a couple in there that are older than that). I'll do full credit at the bottom of the chapter to songs/songwriters who I base the song titles off of and if lyrics are used later I will continue to credit everyone wherever they are mentioned.

***

The collaborative album had been in progress for over two years by the time it was finally finished. It had been an adventure getting to where they no were, to where they finally were. Getting those last few songs done, though...

Carole King had been overall easy to work with.

Frank Sinatra was very particular about the way he worked and the way he wanted things done so that made things a little tough, but in the end they all liked the song, though they wound up doing a cover, that they got out of the process (and Sinatra even asked if he could cover a couple Beatles songs in the future, causing George to blush when he said that he had some excellent ideas for a new arrangement of Something).

The Kinks and The Rolling Stones both agreed to be part of the album. Ringo suggested that they ask each of these bands as that would put three of the four British Invasion bands on this one album, which he thought was pretty cool. The Dave Clark Five, unfortunately, had been broken up for five years (this didn't sit well with Paul because the first time round, living this life of his, The Beatles had also broken up five years ago).

At the party, some time after Paul and John had made up and ended their quarrel, Elvis had approached John to ask when he was finally going to "buck up and ask me to be a part of this collaborative project I've been hearing so much about". Then he laughed and said that hadn't come out exactly how he'd meant for it to. "Really what I'm trying to say is," he said to both John and Paul, "I'd like to be a part of your project, if you'll have me." And of course, John couldn't have dreamed of anyone better to be a part of their album.

George had suggested Pink Floyd and that ended up working out, and some time after that Paul suggested Fleetwood Mac and that had wound up working out. John had actually been the one to suggest they contact James Taylor.

Elton John had been a very reasonable man to work with, especially given that he still seemed to be starstruck by The Beatles' presence.

It was Queen who had been the most difficult to work with. It's just that Freddie, Brian, Roger, and Deaky were so in sync with one another in how they worked (even with Roger and Deaky having had to readjust to this whole livelihood). Similarly, John, Paul, George, and Ringo operated much like well oiled machinery. Now put two high-end machines that were not built to be one, put them together, and expect them to work as a unit and you get —

"Alright, do you have anything to show us that you might wanna work on together?" Paul asked when The Beatles and Queen got into their first meeting together. "We have some stuff lined up to show you, as well."

"Oh, well, we thought we'd just be writing a song together," Brian said, confused, and the rest of the band members of Queen looked puzzled as well.

"Well, yeah, that's certainly an option," said Paul. "We were just wondering if you had something that you thought might work so —"

"You're telling us you've got nothing?" John said, eyebrows raised.

"John, don't be rude," George sighed before Paul got the chance.