Chapter 21: "It'll Be Just Like Old Times, Doll."

status: unedited

status: unedited

▪︎ ♡ ▪︎ ♡ ▪︎ ♡ ▪︎ ♡ ▪︎ ♡ ▪︎ ♡ ▪︎ ♡ ▪︎ ♡ ▪︎

"We're here," I mutter, turning off the car and getting out. The slam of the other door tells me Five's gotten out too. Shoving my arms into the pockets of my blazer, I ask "Why here? Out of all the places in the world, why here?"

The two of us are standing outside the deserted Griddy's Doughnuts. The neon sign is still the same as it was all those years ago, the glowing logo inviting us in. Five shrugs "It's just the first place that came to mind." I don't believe that for a second, but I nod before entering the diner.

We sit at the counter side by side as I gaze around the room. Memories of all the times we came here flash through my mind; the laughter, the joy and the feeling of being free, even if it was only for an hour or two at a time. Five presses the gleaming silver bell almost immediately and it lets out a pleasant ding.

Rolling my eyes at his impatience, I scan the menu to decide what dish I want. Suddenly, Five places his hand on mine "I wanted to come back, you know. I tried my best, but I just couldn't. I broke down more and more every day. It was the thought of you that kept me going." He looks at me nervously, trying to gauge my reaction.

Shaking his hand off mine, I reply in a mockingly sad tone "Oh dear, what a terribly tragic sob story. Do you want my pity?" Hurt shines in his eyes and he says "No, of course not. I thought that you might like to know." "You might like to know," I jeer childishly. "Five, I honestly don't even care anymore. You can lie to yourself, lie to me, lie to whoever the hell you want. But it won't change the fact that you left first."

I turn away from him angrily, only to feel his hand press gently on my shoulder "You were fine with me just now, what happened?" Facing him once more, I glare at him, but my facade drops as I say "I want to forgive you, Five, I really do. But there's a part of me that doesn't want to be close to you again because I'm scared you'll just rip my heart out. I can't go through what happened when you first left again. I can't." Silence falls between us, one thick with unspoken words and harsh confessions.

Finally Five speaks up "Y/N, please just give me one more chance. I promise I'll try my best to be the man you deserve." "Well, you can't be much of a man," I snicker as I gaze at his sixteen year old figure. He rolls his eyes and continues "I cannot believe you interrupted my sentimental speech just for that. Anyways, I swear I will never leave you. At least not in the way you think." "What's that supposed to mean-"

My sentence is cut short when a bald, middle-aged man ambles through the door and sits beside Five. At that moment, a lady with grey hair pulled into a neat bun and dressed in a cheery pink uniform walks behind the counter. She sighs "Sorry, sink was clogged. So, what'll it be?" "Uh, give me a chocolate éclaire," the man replies as she whips out a notebook.