Chapter 6

With little hesitation, Caroline got up and walked out the cafeteria with Joel by her side. He was walking quite close to her, his hand almost touching her lower back. She felt his hand and immediately made a distance between them. They walk out the cafeteria and take a seat on the benches right next to the library.

"I'm sorry I acted like that with you and your friends. It's wasn't my intention to start anything. It's just that-" he paused looking at his hands. He was playing with the bracelets he had. Caroline looks and recognized one of them. It was hers.

"First of all, you don't need to apologize to only me, apologize to ALL of us. Second, I KNEW you stole it oh my goodness I thought I lost it during recess!" she said as she nudged Joel in the arm. She still had her grip on his arm. He has biceps huh? thought Caroline. Joel noticed she still had her grip on his arm. He looked at her with these beautiful gorgeous brown eyes with long luscious lashes. Caroline was alarmed so she immediately removed her hand. She looked down at her bracelet and started blushing. Joel observed her and how she plays with her bracelet. He smiles.

"Hey! You two, back in the cafeteria. No one is allowed outside the cafeteria until lunch is over!" the administrator said as she was walking to them. Joel and Caroline obeyed, got up and walked to the cafeteria. Joel stops her. He turns to her and said, "let me apologize to your friends another time. I have to go." Without saying another word, he left and sat down in his regular table with the same people he hangs out with. She looks at him, feeling betrayed. She had no reason to feel betrayed at all. She felt as he had just lied to her. Even though absolutely nothing happened. She continues walking to her table.

"¿Que quería? Did he bother you?" Alberto started asking. Then Caroline started hearing questions from left to right. She could not answer them all at once. She put her hands in front of her to signify that she can't keep up with all of their questions.

"Jesus. All he said that he was sorry for acting like a bitch today. But he's going to apologize to y'all some other day. He was gonna do it right now pero se fue con sus amiguitos." The group looked at Joel's table. He looks isolated from the group. Not physically, but mentally and spiritually. He wasn't laughing or talking. He was just looking around and getting a glimpse of Caroline's table.

Marcos sighed and shook his head, "man, I feel bad for him. Living in a house that you don't call home really sucks."

"What do you mean? Ain't he got billetes to be spending since his step dad a baller?" Dulce María addressed Marcos. She had no idea how can someone feel bad for a person like Joel.

"No soy chismoso pero i heard that his step dad doesn't pay attention to him. Not even his mom. Imagínate tu propia mamá not giving you attention? It's fucked up." Marcos looks back at Joel's table.

"But he seems like he has no problems. Like he owns the place. Who the fuck acts like that?" Raquel cannot put the pieces together. The group went into a discussion. Caroline knew it was bad talking about other people's life but they couldn't help it. The bell rang and it was time to leave.

-

The day went on and she was blasting her music on her earphones. She got a text from her sister:

Lupe 🥰: imma be late so stay in front of the school. don't go anywhere. omw

The front of the school was almost empty. She looked around and she was practically alone. She started singing as if she was in her own concert.

"Baby, I'm dancing in the dark with you between my arms
Barefoot on the grass, listening to our favorite song
When you said you looked a mess, I whispered underneath my breath"

Even through her signing, she could hear someone sing the next part

"But you heard it, darling, you look perfect tonight"

She turns around taking her earphones out and sees Joel there with a little smile. She was a little startled. And confused.

"Why are you always finding me when I'm alone?" that was kind of rude thought Caroline regretting asking him.

"Hmm? Probably because I don't have any classes with you so might as well try and find you anywhere I get the chance." He said it with the sweetest voice. Caroline was surprised he had the audacity to talk to her like this after all the pain she went through because of him.

Caroline closed her eyes and shook her head quickly, snapping out of those hypnotizing eyes of him. "You do know the shit you did to me, right? As a little girl I deadass was disgusted because of my appearance. But I guess you're not ready for that conversation yet, huh?" She turned back around waiting for her sister to come pick her up from this awkward situation.

Joel nodded and walked in front of her. "Listen, I swear let me explain. I can tell you everything-" he was cut off.

"You can explain everything after you've apologized to my friends because the last thing-" she was also cut off.

"I'm gonna do it tomorrow morning during homeroom." They looked at each other, keeping a healthy distance from each other. A car honked. It was very modern car. Very nice and clean. And then there was another car behind it. It was an old beat up car. It's paint job cracking.

"That's my ride" Said Caroline, nodding her head towards the old beat down car.

Joel looked at her car and his. He felt even worse than he already felt. "Dude you don't have to feel bad about-"

"Me, feeling bad about the things my family owns? Never. As long as it gets you to point A and point B, it don't matter. See you tomorrow Pimentel." She looked at him as she walked to her sister.

Guadalupe saw that she was speaking to Joel, so she asks, "So now you guys are buddy buddy, huh?" She gave a little smile to Caroline. They both saw Joel go insides they car and leave immediately. They sat there watching the car racing out of their sight.

"No, we not buddy buddy, he wants something from me...

and he's not gonna get it"